1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Manila Tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dr. J, Dec 12, 2007.

1. krakatoa

krakatoa Well-Known Member

You could try the dry cleaner in basement of Podium. I can't remember the name, but it's not a Metropole branch (which I refuse to use since they have screwed up at least 3 articles of my clothing). I live in San Juan, and work in Pasig (Ortigas), and am struggling to think of any other place. Several years ago, I used Heel Sew Quick in Megamall for a very basic alteration, but am not sure I'd entrust anything more complicated to them.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

hampton(?) in edsa shangri-la hotel.

3. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

I realize this question was asked quite a while ago. I've had jeans altered at Defacto Denim in the Mile Long Building on Amorsolo St corner of Ruffino in Makati; I was a customer for shirts there so had built up a bit of a relationship with Andre and Nicole before asking for jeans alternations. They have a chain stitch machine too - not on site - if you're particular about such things.

I'll add that Andre and Nicole are wonderful kids who will put forth a great effort to satisfy a customer. Their main focus is denim but sadly they don't do anything with raw. Obtaining the material is a hassle and as of yet there really isn't much demand for selvedge in the local market. Foreign customers have brought in their own material and Defacto will work with it. One caution re the jeans they make: the back pockets are ridiculously over decorated, so you may want to request plain pockets, which they will do. Keep in mind that communication between Andre and Nicole and whoever actually assembles the garments may not be the clearest, or your detalled instructions may just be simply ignored, so you'll really want to closely examine those items you order from them.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  4. SimplyLime

SimplyLime Well-Known Member

I am certainly in on with this idea. I would also love to help build the website

5. alco

alco Well-Known Member

Hi,

Are they also capable of doing decent buttonholes for suit jackets? Have had a lot of bad experience with local shops & am afraid to have it done locally now.

Best I've seen is the ones made by Cornells but too bad they don't accept alterations for clothes they didn't make.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I can only speak from my experience. I had an otr jacket and I had the waist taken in and I'm satisfied with their job.

7. green garden

green garden Senior member

Thanks for the info.

8. fknandrew

fknandrew Active Member

So low a profile that they don't reply to emails!:)

9. kevinyapjoco

kevinyapjoco Well-Known Member

You're not the first person to tell me that. I've had a few people email me about him not replying but they eventually were able to get in touch and get their suits.

10. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Dropped you a PM. Check your inbox!

11. alco

alco Well-Known Member

I initially met Mike (Secret Armory) back in March 29 and was going to commission a shirt and trousers to try him out. Left a sample of each so he can copy the details I wanted (height of the collar, collar length, trouser details, etc.) Came back April 12 to get the samples I left cuz I needed them to wear to a wedding. He then informed me that it would take him until June to complete my order because he was doing suits for a wedding entourage. He did offer to return the down payment I made (looking back, I should had taken this) because of the turn around time but decided to leave it with him since it was only a month.

A week before June, I started texting, calling, emailing him to ask for an update but no response. Up to this date, I have not gotten a reply with me trying to contact him every other day or every week at least. If anyone has had a good experience or is still in contact with him, kindly provide me his other contact details. Last option for me would be to just show up his place and demand my money back, if he still lives there that is.

12. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

That sucks. Reminds me of the issues I had with the designer for the suit I wore for the wedding. He is a prominent young designer, makes suits for TV personalities and has won some accolades here and abroad. But was terrible with deadlines and remembering details of discussions previously agreed to.

13. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

If he told you June, why contact him repeatedly a week before? A week into June might be understandable.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  14. alco

alco Well-Known Member

I tried to contact him once the week before June just to get an update so that I'll know how many more days or weeks to wait. As June came, that's when I repeatedly tried to contact him cuz I was getting worried about my orders. Even if the orders weren't ready, I would have appreciated a text or email to know the status.

It is almost July now & no response at all.

15. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I for one don't see any issue texting in advance requesting for an update. I also agree that communication wasn't too much to ask for. Surely a PhP1 SMS would have gone a long way in in terms of customer satisfaction.

16. Ethan79

Ethan79 New Member

I will be going to Manila for a friend's wedding. I made it a point to at least stay a while in HK for a tailored suit prior to the said event. However I would like to ask if the status of the bespoke industry in the country has improved? I've back-read posts from this thread and have heard quite a lot of negatives, if not "so-so"s in response to Manila tailors. Just like to confirm (or reconfirm) designated status of the Philippines as a Sartorial Wasteland.

btw, the wedding is more or less 9 months from September. So I pretty much have time for HK in case PH fails to make the cut.

Special mention to acidboy: I would be delighted to hear your thoughts on this (based on previous posts in this thread). [​IMG]

Edit/s: Added wedding event timeframe.

Cheers,
    Ethan

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  17. krakatoa

krakatoa Well-Known Member

As always, it depends on the quality you expect and how much you're prepared to spend. In my view, tailors here in Manila cannot compete on a quality basis with even mid-range counterparts in HK. First is the access (or lack thereof) to better cloths (Scabal, H&S, W. Bills etc), and second (as far as I'm aware) is the lack of family-owned tailor shops with proper tailoring techniques passed down from father to son. However, if you bring quality fabric (make sure to bring extra unless - or maybe even if - you're damn sure of the tailor's skill!) and have the experience and patience to spend hours giving your local tailor directions (and ensuring that they follow them...), a locally-made suit would certainly be a good value proposition. For my workwear (which is important to me) I just bite the bullet and fly to HK for the day for each fitting and pick up (which admittedly becomes pricy). I'm far from alone within the AB demographic here in that respect. On those (rare) occasions when I'm tempted to make a suit in Manila, I think back to a friend who married here a few years ago, had a suit made locally (can't remember whether Kingsmen or Bergamo) and was sorely disappointed (and quite uncomfortable on his big day). There may be small local tailors of which I'm unaware who are exceptions to the rule (if so, I'd like to hear about them from more knowledgeable locals).

18. Ethan79

Ethan79 New Member

Appreciate the inputs krakatoa. I guess I'll be staying in Hong Kong for a few months prior to the wedding for the suit. Had I tried my luck in Manila, this would've probably have been a logistical and sartorial nightmare. I'll read up on the HK tailors for more information.

Again, many thanks krakatoa. [​IMG]

19. SNEAKEROLOGISM

SNEAKEROLOGISM New Member

Hi Ethan,

I was recently in the Philippines for a wedding also. I also wanted to get some suits made and had a pretty strict budget of around $1400 Australian Dollars. I ended up getting 2 suits made at Tino Suits and Barong in Makati.

Suit 1 - Fully Canvassed Jacket with Peak lapels, double vents, functioning button holes, side tab adjuster pants (Charcoal Grey Italian Fabric purchased in Sydney)
    Suit 2 - Fully Canvassed Jacket with Notch lapels, double vents, functioning button holes, side tab adjuster pants (Black Wool Fabric in House cloth)

Nap Arienza is the propriertor/master tailor there. He is very knowledgeable and it was lovely discussing the history of tailoring in the Philippines as he saw it. He had previously worked for Brioni and was also the personal tailor for Joseph Estrada. The ambassador for Bangladesh was also in the store (waiting for my appointment to finish) while I was there for my first visit.

As per notes above I brought my own fabric for one suit and used their in house fabric for another. ** They also stock Holland & Sherry, Vitale Barbaris etc (these were slightly out of my price range)**

I had 3 fittings within a 2 week period and the team there did there best to accommodate my needs.
    I was very happy with the results and have no problems recommending them. I wear them weekly and the fit and finish is the best I have owned. I will use them again during my next trip to Manila in a couple of years time hopefully.

As for Hong Kong I was also due to go there as well but ran out of time. I had made arrangements with Dream Bespoke who I would recommend also. I hope to use their service next time I visit there. Just going off their facebook page alone I could see their suiting would be top notch and the price point is within my means.....Ricky was also very accommodating and communicative during our dealings.

Good luck,
    J M

20. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

^ I knew that tailor. he seems like a nice gentelman. yes he did alterations for brioni waaaay back in the 90s. I've also seen his work up close but I chose not to have anything made by him. which, judging from the pics of his work, was a good idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]