• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ tassels, armoury in hkg, or you could place an order with p.lal in malaysia for c&j's (and loake, cheaney) and they'll have it sent to your address fast- too bad they don't carry eg anymore.

aon

Reaction score

^ tassels, armoury in hkg, or you could place an order with p.lal in malaysia for c&j's (and loake, cheaney) and they'll have it sent to your address fast- too bad they don't carry eg anymore.

Just pray that the post office wont makeyou pay duties and import vat. The last time I ordered from plal I had to pay around Php2500 for duties and import vat.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ true. but last time I ordered something from them they used a door-to-door courier and I got them 4 days after ordering sans taxes. must be a lucky day for me.

aon

Reaction score

^ true. but last time I ordered something from them they used a door-to-door courier and I got them 4 days after ordering sans taxes. must be a lucky day for me.

do you remember what courier they used?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

do you remember what courier they used?

no, sorry- can't remember it now... I'm sure its not the usual dhl/fedex/tnt though...

emptym

Reaction score
^Hope you have fun. I'll let you know, B, if/when I hear from J. Pls. give my best to Mr. C.

Last edited:

alco

Reaction score

no, sorry- can't remember it now... I'm sure its not the usual dhl/fedex/tnt though...

had a lot of experience with shipments from shoes ordered abroad. Its a hit or miss thing, if you're lucky, it gets delivered straight to your place with a 35 pesos delivery charge. If not, then you have to go to your local customs office or customs office in Pasay and "haggle" for the duties and import price :censored:

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

manila meetup of course! set it up bri!

drink some real San Miguel for me gents, it's been a while since the last time I was there....

neyus

Reaction score
These suits and Jackets from Cornell look great. It seems that Cornell is alot better than more than 90% of the other tailors in the Philippines. The biggest thing working against tailors there is the fact that The Philippines just isn't a suit wearing place. This means that most customers aren't familiar with what a good suit is or how it should look and this doesn't encourage the local craftspeople to include their work. Also I tend to find that many Filipino business people seem quite content to do mediocre work and not try to improve or push the boundaries further that what they are comfortable with.

I would definitely be interested in getting something from Cornell.

Aon the suit looks great. The only real improvement would be to increase the size of the patch pockets to match up the proportions of the rest of the coat. Yeah the bottom front of the coat could be opened up a little but it looks good anyway.

Can you take a closer picture of the buttonholes. I like the fact that most Filipino tailors do handworked buttonholes anyway. I actually like the rougher buttonholes because they can't be mistaken for machine stitched buttonholes.

Can someone post pictures of Cornell's shirts? I really want to get some made.

aon

Reaction score
^ ^ I'll take pictures of the buttonholes this weekend. I have an RLPL suit with unfinished cuffs which I plan to bring to Cornell's. After having a couple of suits from him I trust he won't mess up the RLPL.

I do not have any shirt from Cornell's but I believe some forum members have shirts made by him. I just noticed that their collars and cuffs are very stiff compared to the ones you get from the department stores.

BTW, I got my grenadine tie yesterday from Sam Hober without being hit by customs duties. The post office delivered the tie straight to my house. Lucky day I guess.

Last edited:

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not have any shirt from Cornell's but I believe some forum members have shirts made by him. I just noticed that their collars and cuffs are very stiff compared to the ones you get from the department stores.

You can specify soft collar and cuffs with Cornell's.

neyus

Reaction score
My wife had a shirt made by King Phillip. I dont think I would ever use them for suits but her shirt was quite nice. The collar was fairly soft felt like it had a sewn interlining and the buttonholes where all sewn by hand. My Tita said that we got ripped off but I think it wasn't too bad. So Im hoping that Cornell would be good if not better and use a soft interlining for his collars and cuffs. If only I could go to Philippines again.

Aon, thanks for agreeing to take the photos. Would be great to see them. I read earlier in the thread that Cornell's fuse their coats? Do they still do this? Do they canvass if you pay extra? I dont actually mind so much about this but if they did canvassed jackets it would be great.

I think customs is pretty hit and miss in Philippines. My brother sent an Ipod once to his girlfriend at the time in The Philippines and they hit him up big time for it.

Empty M, did you end up taking photos of that jacket that Cornell made for you? I really want to see it.

aon

Reaction score
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to construction so I can't tell if their coats are fused or canvassed. I'm not also sure if they can make a canvassed jacket for a premium.

As promised here are the photos of the buttonholes:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads