• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manicures

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to find a place to get a simple regular manicure, but all the places I see or have ever used cater primarily to women, so I always feel a little conspicuous and uncomfortable getting my manicures in these places. I end up doing it myself most of the time, but I would rather not have to. How do the members of this forum usually take care of their nail grooming?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Self, with a nail clipper. I don't do anything else to them.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do it myself but one day I'll get around to going to a salon to do it.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Self, with a nail clipper. I don't do anything else to them.
After the clipper, I have to put an emory board to them to smooth the edges; otherwise they're too blunt and ragged, and I'd end up snagging my ties.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
When they get too long, get into a motorcycle accident and have the offending nails turn black and fall off. That'll show 'em.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my view, unless you're a mob boss or self-absorbed billionaire (in other words, a man with tremendous resources and time to spare) manicuring is just not for men; something about it screams excessive vanity -- which is just unmanly (particularly if you dress like a dandy).

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
After the clipper, I have to put an emory board to them to smooth the edges; otherwise they're too blunt and ragged, and I'd end up snagging my ties.
For whatever reason, I tend to clip my nails (when they need it) at night during the whole "brush your teeth and take out your contacts" ritual. They're usually fine by morning. :shrug: Important note: clip your nails AFTER you take out your contacts.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
In my view, unless you're a mob boss or self-absorbed billionaire (in other words, a man with tremendous resources and time to spare) manicuring is just not for men; something about it screams excessive vanity -- which is just unmanly.

I disagree with this, but I do my own. I clip and file and push back my cuticles and trim the excess. The skin around my fingernails is dry and cracks easily, so proper maintenance is required to keep them from looking grotesque.

vanity

Reaction score
I do mine by myself during the winter. But in the summer when I wear sandals, I get pedicures. While I'm there I just have them to my hands while they're at it.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I just go to those cheap asian salons for pedicures when it's warm enough to be wearing flip-flops (which is about 9-months out of the year here in Arizona).

As for manicures, I like to get them, but I have to force myself to quit biting my nails long enough to grow them out first. If I can do that, it's a nice reward to get a professional manicure.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
In my view, unless you're a mob boss or self-absorbed billionaire (in other words, a man with tremendous resources and time to spare) manicuring is just not for men; something about it screams excessive vanity -- which is just unmanly (particularly if you dress like a dandy).
I also disagree with this.

In the past plenty of "masculine" men got manicures.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Or if you are married to a manicurist as I am...
smile.gif

fatty

Reaction score
reminds me i need to do my nails. Toenails are fun to do because they are easy. Manicures require much effort.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What i never understood was pushing the cuticles back. Is that strictly for looks?

fatty

Reaction score
it prevents hangnails. When your cuticles grow over your nails they pull the skin, thus creating hangnails.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads