Mani - do they do any canadian production?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Carlo, May 24, 2004.

1. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Quick question - Mani jacket tagged as made in Canada - anyone aware of Armani outsourcing production in North America???

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm not sure. On the same vein, I have a Versace V2 dress shirt that is made in the US, which was a surprise to me.

3. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Most labels outsource production. Gitman makes Burberry in the USA & Canada and there is good reason for a European to produce over here - shipping and import duties are not cheap (20-25%) which can offset slightly higher labor costs here.

...I would not be surprised if Mani is made in Canada (at least in part) but I gotta find out for sure.

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm fairly certain I've seen older GFT produced Mani's with Made in Canada labels. GFT has (or had) factories all over the place - US, Italy, Mexico etc.

5. hermes

hermes Senior member

did anyone read the recent new yorker magazine article on jp tod's whereby della valle mentioned that a number of designers, such as armani, are moving production to china as a requirement to get a foothold in the chinese market?

although tod's wants to keep production always in italy, it has not ruled out moving production of some items to china to gain a foothold there

as such, it appears that politics can sometimes play a role in where things are made