1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

Any field reports on the Loro Piana sale?

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Any field reports on the Loro Piana sale?

Went at 1pm
    Full house but no line
    They did not ask for the invite card

Selection = OK. Some great outerwear pieces.
    Prices = Generally in the -30% area. Nothing to get excited about (unless you like the idea of dropping $400-500 on a sweater or $2k on a winter coat...)

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

or $8500 on a Vicuna coat, down from $13,000+. Yow. Selection was pretty good for cashmere sweaters, and there was some nice material, but prices were way too high for me to bite. One cashmere sweater I liked was still a grand. [​IMG] I'll be there early on Thursday. Does anyone remember if they go to 90% off on the final day?

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

or $8500 on a Vicuna coat, down from $13,000+. Yow. Selection was pretty good for cashmere sweaters, and there was some nice material, but prices were way too high for me to bite. One cashmere sweater I liked was still a grand. [​IMG] I'll be there early on Thursday. Does anyone remember if they go to 90% off on the final day?

Last year they went to 90% on last day but there was basically nothing left.

5. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks, Andrew. There was a good amount of suiting left at the end of the sale last year, and there was some that I could see myself buying if it's around on Thursday. [​IMG]

6. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks, Andrew. There was a good amount of suiting left at the end of the sale last year, and there was some that I could see myself buying if it's around on Thursday. [​IMG]

My pleasure. That's true but if IIRC correctly, the suiting fabric was not reduced to 90% off, only about 70%, save for the blots that were only large enough for trousers, they were 90% off. If folks want to meet up there on Thursday and then grab a quick bite, we should make some plans.

7. cpac

cpac Senior member

Anybody notice of they had overcoats in long (or even extra-long) sizes?

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think they were all regular sizes. There weren't that many overcoats--outerwear was mostly casual.

9. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

Any suits or slacks?

10. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

How much fabric would be needed for a 36/30 suit? And what if I want it to be 3-piece? [​IMG]

11. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I always wonder why we are trusted to give better advice than the tailors who have your actual pattern and have their own work habits. That said, four yards should cover you for the three piece if it is a solid. Add a quarter yard for pattern.

12. BrianLeeHeslop

BrianLeeHeslop New Member

Ladies and Gents,

I work for the Peter Elliot Stores on the Upper East Side and I would like to post for those interested that the new outlet store opened. I will post later more details but if you're in the area I would definately say that it's worth a visit.

A little about us... When Charleston, South Carolina native Elliot Rabin arrived in New York decades ago, his sharp eye and Southern gentleman-sartorial design skills were quickly put to use by fashion houses like Oscar de la Renta, Pucci, and Givenchy. In 1977, Rabin struck out on his own and opened Peter Elliot, a men's boutique whose timelessly elegant collections rise high above the whims and vagaries of fashion fads. Fashion-savvy investment bankers and unconventional white-shoe litigators favor store staples like cotton-cashmere sweaters and navy blazers"”raised to high art in Peter Elliott's Blue"”aided by a sales team that can be counted on for tactful candor when something doesn't quite fit. Aside from his own designs, Rabin also carries Kiton, a high-end line from Italy, and Barbour sporting attire and country outerwear beloved by Brit gentry and their imitators (hullo, Madge) for eons.

Peter Elliot Outlet Store
    address: 1067 Madison Avenue New York, NY 10021
    cross streets: 80-81
    phone: 212-570-5747

13. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

FYI, Elliot has a mix of Sanders, cheaney, and a few Martegani at 50% off. For 200ish, they are nice English staples, though nothing amazing.

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Stopped in a the Loro Piana sale at lunch. Prices are now 60-70% off original retail price. Or to put it another way, still expensive, and in some cases, shockingly so. There was a women's beaded shawl for $15000. Sure, it was down from $25,000, but [​IMG] .

Men's outerwear is decimated. There are some nice trousers left, particularly in 34. A few nice sweaters left in all sizes. Lots of scarves, and many more boxed under the tables--these should be around on the final day. Bolts of material are now 60-80% off original price.

Much better stock left in women's clothes, particularly mid to larger sizes.

I spoke with one of the staff who said he thinks they'll take the price down again on Wednesday, to around 75% off retail for everything (except the bolts), then down to either 80 or 85% off on the on last day. A little miffed about the bolts, as I saw about a dozen which I distinctly remember from last year's sale.

15. mussel

mussel Senior member

And field report from Piana sale on what the discount like today?

16. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

70% off. A few things, like jeans, are 75% off. Bolts are now 70-80% off. Not sure if it's going any lower, but I'm still empty handed.

17. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

18. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Went around 5:30 last night and there were slim pickens. They had some decent bolts left, and one I really liked but was a 1/4 of a yard to short for a 46 jacket. Line up the Hickey sale.

19. yanks2182

yanks2182 Senior member

If it's anything like the last Hickey sale prices won't be extraordinary. Suits for $565 , 2 for $1000.

20. mussel

mussel Senior member

HICKEY FREEMAN
    BOBBY JONES

MEN'S CLOTHING
    FURNISHINGS & SPORTSWEAR

Up to 75% Off

SUNDAY, APRIL 30th through THURSDAY, MAY 4th
    Sunday: 10:00am to 6:00pm
    Monday: 8:30am to 7:00pm
    Tuesday: 9:00am to 7:00pm
    Wednesday: 9:00am to 7:00pm