Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. skefferz

skefferz Senior member

as of 4:30 pm today at Barney's NY warehouse sale:

white tag suits and sport coat 50% off
    non-white tag suits and sport coats 30% off
    65% off Barneys/Coop shoes, 50% off all other shoes
    50% off shirts/ties

2. cchen

cchen Senior member

Barney's warehouse sale:

Pure rubbish left. Can't believe people were fighting over house brand suits. Discount was not that big, and terrible selection left. I walked out emptyhanded.

3. lhooq

lhooq Senior member

There's a 42S Kiton sportscoat that looks very similar to the plaid version on the far left side of the opening picture at kiton.it. Marked $1,100, minus 30% would be $770.

There are a few beautiful Batistoni plaid suits in all different sizes. A light tan color, and they fit like heaven. Marked $1,100, minus 30% would be $770.

Everything else is crap. I was expecting 80% off of ties, for which I would have bought a couple Barney's house labels in colors and patterns I liked. It's still 50% off.

Oh, one more thing: the place is insanely packed . . . it's hard to breathe in there, and the line stretches all the way back towards where the overcoats are -- it would've taken an hour to get to the registers if I had bought anything.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Barney's warehouse sale:

Pure rubbish left. Can't believe people were fighting over house brand suits. Discount was not that big, and terrible selection left. I walked out emptyhanded.

Agree. One interesting thing: the "imperfect section" had suits and coats at 90% discount to marked price [​IMG] some people who looked nothing like clothes horses (not to be insulting...) were piling heavily marked down items in large plastic bags... makes you understand a little better how so many items end up on eBay... [​IMG]

5. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

WOW, I picked up a Brioni suit today! An Oxxford suit on Saturday,(side note Oxxford on 57th was more than happy to alter for me)an Isaia Super 130 stewart model suit and a Isaia Super 140 sportcoat that was $150!!!
    However it was stated above non white tag suits were 30% I only found them to be 20% today....All in all not too bad though.

6. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

I picked up a pair of C&J Belgravia's in "Rev Calf Suede" - $128 and 4 pocket squares (3 Brioni) for $8.75/piece.

I also thought suits would be more discounted today. Last year it was 50% off all Barney's suits and 30% off all others on the last day-- but they rang up my Hickey Freeman as Barneys. I guess because it said "Hickey Freeman - Barney's" inside the jacket.

7. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

Stockwell, they gave you the 50% off even without the white tag? Pretty nice!!! I tried and was told NO WAY...the etra 30% really would have been sweet

8. StockwellDay

Urban,

Just so were clear. That was LAST YEAR -- actually, it was the Warehouse sale in the winter. But, yes, it was great. Saw some Hickey's today I liked, but at only 20% off - I passed.

9. lhooq

lhooq Senior member

Just to clarify -- all suits and sportscoats are 30% off the lowest marked price unless they're white-tagged, in which case they're 50% off.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I stopped by yesterday. Picked up a pair of rubber soled suede Franschetti shoes for under $50. But that's it. Saw a great Kiton 100% cashmere sportcoat in 38R for $600 (after 50% white tag markdown), but it was more than I wanted to spend and I didn't like it that much. Also a few nice Hickey Freeman and Canali pants, but none in my size. There were a few nice HF suits marked down to around $180, but again nothing in my size.

All in all, not great, but not utterly terrible.

11. StockwellDay

12. nelly

nelly Senior member

Picked up 4 Barney's house brand dress shirts. From what I can tell, they are nothing to gloat about and seem to be Banana Republic type quality, but for $35 each it was an ok deal.

Also got three Zegna dress shirts, a Guy Rover dress shirt (never heard of), a Barney's tie for $14.50 and a Kiton tie.

My find of the day was a beautiful Borrelli dress shirt that escaped the masses.

13. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I saw a number of Borrelli shirts there tagged at $107. None in my size, though. One Brioni, a much larger number of Lorenzini.

Like people said, not much unless you were willing to wade through everything. I tried on a couple of overcoats and, um, didn't like the low armholes. (Thanks SF for saving me money?)

I just walked out with a single lavender Kiton tie for $53.50 as a souvenir. There were a handful in the room, lavender and cream logo ties, plus a couple in aqua. One in aqua was a sixfold but I had no idea how to match it... aqua (blue-green?) with orange and black squares/diamonds.

14. seok

seok Senior member

(1) so where does this stuff leftover from Barney's Warehouse go?

(2) any updates from Oxxford sale?

15. mussel

mussel Senior member

I was surprised by the number of Borrelli shirts ($97.50 tax free) still available the last day of the sale, I even spotted couple of Kiton shirts at $118 after 50% off.