1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Picked up a Chu tie for $32. Thanks for the tip!

2. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Well-Known Member

stopped by Saks @ lunch , picked up a pair of EG , forgot the name, but its the double monk strap mondel on 888 last , I think?? for $350, I wanted to pick up an Isaia suit, there a couple in my size for about 800 bucks, but decided against it.

3. grimslade

Are the sale EGs somewhere hidden? All I saw were some pebble-grain Dainite-soled bluchers...

4. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

stopped by Saks @ lunch , picked up a pair of EG , forgot the name, but its the double monk strap mondel on 888 last , I think?? for $350, I wanted to pick up an Isaia suit, there a couple in my size for about 800 bucks, but decided against it.

Great buy. Strange, I didn't see any EG left yesterday late afternoon, may be they found some more in the back room? I don't remember seeing any double monk on sale, the only one that came close to your description was a single monk with Norwegian front split toe called Ashby.

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Great buy. Strange, I didn't see any EG left yesterday late afternoon, may be they found some more in the back room? I don't remember seeing any double monk on sale, the only one that came close to your description was a single monk with Norwegian front split toe called Ashby.

I didn't see that model either. I don't believe I've seen a Westminster at Saks, NYC, but who knows what's hidden in the back room as they found me a Newbury w/ medallion in nutmeg suede thta had been a special order that wasn't picked up. Only problem was that they only had the right shoe.[​IMG]

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Only problem was that they only had the right shoe.[​IMG]
    Sounds like an order for Long John Silver???

7. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

I didn't see that model either. I don't believe I've seen a Westminster at Saks, NYC, but who knows what's hidden in the back room as they found me a Newbury w/ medallion in nutmeg suede thta had been a special order that wasn't picked up. Only problem was that they only had the right shoe.[​IMG]

Funny you mentioned that. I tried to pick up a pair of Ashby for my friend, I found the right size on the rack. The only problem was when the salesman brought out the other shoe, it was the same side, a pair of 2 right-sided shoes! [​IMG]

The salesman speculated that someone must have bought a pair of 2 left-sided shoes!!

8. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I saw a westminster in an 888 in UK9/US9.5 at Saks at the first cut sale. I put them on to try the fit just in case it was available on sale in June.

9. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Well-Known Member

it was on the size 11 center sales rack next to the wall , alone with bunch of suede Ferragamo wingtips. It was just 1 , I think they are new, don't think they are returns.

10. Associate

Associate Well-Known Member

I saw a westminster in an 888 in UK9/US9.5 at Saks at the first cut sale. I put them on to try the fit just in case it was available on sale in June.

I believe I got them during the second cut...

11. Associate

Picked up a Chu tie for $32. Thanks for the tip!

What was the ticketed price?

I picked up one today from the Chu sale rack but for some reason paid the ticketed price of 56.90. I wonder if it was a mistake and I didn't get the 50% off. Otherwise it's a nice 4-fold, reminiscent of a Drake's tie.

12. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Did anyone get a pair of the burgandy Tramezza chukka's? They are awesome, I'll take a pic and post it.

Did you get those, Ed? Those are awesome boots. I thought about it, but decided to hold my dough for now. I saw a few nice ties - Drake, Borrelli - but passed on those too.

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

Did you get those, Ed? Those are awesome boots. I thought about it, but decided to hold my dough for now. I saw a few nice ties - Drake, Borrelli - but passed on those too.

I did see those Ed and there were, as of yesterday, several of them left in a wide range of sizes. Definitely a beautiful last and great price, something around $270 I think?

14. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Well-Known Member

I grabbed a couple of charvet shirts reduced from $395 to $156, then with the 50% off the final price came to $78. The salespeople looked like they couldn't believe they were selling shirts at these prices. Charvets were pretty much cleaned out in size 16. I was talking to the attractive sales person who rang me up (Selani, Telani, something like that), and apparently they found a box of charvets that they put out on the floor for the final sale cut on friday. Her father is a size 16 so she pretty much cleaned out whatever they had. She was actually surprised when I showed up with my shirts and asked where I found them!

I think the sale ends on Sunday.

15. grimslade

What was the ticketed price?

I picked up one today from the Chu sale rack but for some reason paid the ticketed price of 56.90. I wonder if it was a mistake and I didn't get the 50% off. Otherwise it's a nice 4-fold, reminiscent of a Drake's tie.

The one I got was originally 95, marked down to 65.90, then half-off that. Most had started at 150, marked down to 50-something _after_ the 50% off, as you said. It may have only been the one style that was 32, but it's still a double-four-fold AFAICT. Yellow. Actually "butter." I think I'm developing a thing for yellow ties. The majority of ties I've bought this year are yellow. Yellow makes me think happy thoughts.

16. Associate

The one I got was originally 95, marked down to 65.90, then half-off that. Most had started at 150, marked down to 50-something _after_ the 50% off, as you said. It may have only been the one style that was 32, but it's still a double-four-fold AFAICT. Yellow. Actually "butter." I think I'm developing a thing for yellow ties. The majority of ties I've bought this year are yellow. Yellow makes me think happy thoughts.

No matter how much I tell myself that I need a yellow tie, I always end up buying another blue one...

17. grimslade

No matter how much I tell myself that I need a yellow tie, I always end up buying another blue one...

See, my situation is the reverse. I keep saying I could use some blue ties, but when I go to buy them, I never find any I like. A year ago, I had only ever owned one yellow tie. Now they're taking over...

[​IMG]

18. chorse123

Century 21 has taken a further markdown. Prices on sale suits are now 50% off original C21 prices, i.e. Brioni for $1000, Isaia for $500.

There are also a few good deals on the ground floor - Zegna sport sweaters for $50, a few Dunhill made in Italy sportcoats for $150, lots of Boglioli, including one beautiful lightweight fall overcoat (40R).

Good luck - a lot of great deals.

19. frankie lee

frankie lee Active Member

C21 also has new stuff that's not on the racks yet. A helpful sales staffer (Bernie) showed me some nice Isaias ($1,000) that had just come in. I guess they want to blow out all the sale stuff before they put the new stuff out.

What's the cut like on the made-in-Italy Dunhill stuff? British or Italian?

20. chorse123

Can't help you on the Dunhill - they never have anything in my size, so I haven't tried them on.

Does anyone know what the markdown is like at Barney's on tailored clothing?