Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Correct, but the last time they had the 60% off sale, the acorn and black brogues were off of already-reduced prices (675).

As you may recall, the chestnut brogue, which was the IDENTICAL shoe, was 60% off the full 1100.

I do remember the that but the shoes that i saw were all marked at regular pricing with no intermediate markdowns taken. Though I won't for sure until tomorrow.[​IMG]

2. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Is there any way to pin this thread so it's always one of the first few? Just seems that we'll be using this for quite a while...

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Ugh - I can't go to Asprey until the weekend. I'm really busy with work this week. Please don't buy all the EGs!

4. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Anyone have a quality guide to Hickey by Hickey Freeman? I believe that sale starts today.

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I think the Hickey stuff is fused but more stylish than the standard boardroom-ready H-F stuff. Their bid for the youth market. Print ads featured an irritatingly styled twig of a lad, but the clothes are all right looking.

6. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

If you happen to be in downtown Brooklyn: I was in Daffy's on Atlantic Ave on Sat, where they had an OK selection of RLPL loafters -- the rubber soled ones -- in different colors. Size selection skewed larger. Also some RLPL leather soled sandals, simply styled. Daffy's prices were 100 or 150.

7. aportnoy

If you happen to be in downtown Brooklyn: I was in Daffy's on Atlantic Ave on Sat, where they had an OK selection of RLPL loafters -- the rubber soled ones -- in different colors. Size selection skewed larger. Also some RLPL leather soled sandals, simply styled. Daffy's prices were 100 or 150.

They also had a slew of these loafers at dafy's on 57th St/Lex.

8. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Who made those RLPL loafers? I assume those loafers weren't made by EG?

9. johnnynorman

johnnynorman Well-Known Member

They're Italian made. The leather is very soft, but doesn't have a ton of character. Maybe a driving shoe is supposed to be that way. One thing I like about the Polo loafers is that they have a penny loafer strap over the vamp. A bit more masculine IMO. Still, I don't get a lot of the fascinatio with driving loafers like that -- they seem way too casual with anything more dressy than linen pants, but they don't seem comfortable enough to wear with jeans while bumming around the city. Maybe they are a country club type shoe -- i.e. for hanging out on the lawn. In any event, $150 seems about right, but it's not a deal that I've jumped at.

10. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

These (PRL Bentley's) fit kinda narrow, in case anyone is wondering, and have a driver-type rubber block sole. Nice leather, but a little pointy for my taste.
    Here they are on the polo site
    http://tinyurl.com/g5c23

11. aportnoy

I concur, they are ok, but not something I have to have. I still prefer JP Tods. Though, GVH is currently offering a few pair of either alligator or crocs in a honey color that are quite nice.

12. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Get thee to Asprey. The sale is ON, run by soiffer-haskin on site, third floor. Long wait to get in, but great deals on shoes in small and big sizes.

EGs are selling from between $203 and $350.
    LAttanzi shell cordovan 1400-70% (only a couple of pairs left)
    Lattanzi tan blucher 1100-70%
    Some cool suede chukkas in several colors in large (11.5US) sizes, maybe a couple of smalls.

The EG black plaintoe blucher is ($800-70%). We talked about this shoe last sale time. It was selling for $400 back then, and now it's even cheaper.

All EGs are marked inside as "(sizeUK)/(sizeUS) E 202"

There are no more size 11US in anything except the big green Wellington boots and some white canvas shoes.

RTW is 60% off, meaning its still really expensive.

13. aportnoy

The RTW is still way too high at only 60% off, at the sample sale it was 90% off. The shoes sound tempting but the line sounds daunting.

Were there any shoe trees left and how much were they?

14. El Guerrouj

El Guerrouj Well-Known Member

Were there any small sizes (US 8) in the EG's? Thank you!

15. Ed355

Ed355 Senior member

I think the Hickey stuff is fused but more stylish than the standard boardroom-ready H-F stuff. Their bid for the youth market. Print ads featured an irritatingly styled twig of a lad, but the clothes are all right looking.

I went there. There were only four choice of jackets - two of them are so loud that they are not wearable by the average population, the other two, one is a navy blue blazer and the other a seersucker jacket. Construction of the jackets did not impress me. To sum it up, not worth the trip to go up there.