Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. southgate house

southgate house Senior member

How much were the Black Label shirts?

They are around $90 now at the San Francisco store. The Purple Label shirts are just over $100.

2. haganah

haganah Senior member

How much were the Black Label shirts?

I got mine for around 80 a shirt. 15.5 (39) was the sizing.

3. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

The Phineas moleskins are not on sale at PS. Frankly, I am not so sure what is so great about them. I own a pair and, while they are nice, I am not sure they are worth the price ($344). I think the colors are a little boring and flat, except the mustard color and maybe the rust (PS calls it Spice). They grey and olive are incredibly boring. I think one can do much better ordering from Cordings for a much lower price. And avoid dealing with going to the dreaded second floor of PS's Madison Avenue shop. PS provides an absolute dreadful shopping experience.

I am not sure what the Phineas line is supposed to be? More mainstream Thom Browne? I don't like the narrow ties and some of the Phineas suits were horrible in styling. As an aside, are they fully canvassed (the salesman says they are, but I could not tell)?

4. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

And avoid dealing with going to the dreaded second floor of PS's Madison Avenue shop. PS provides an absolute dreadful shopping experience.

So very well said. PS is my favorite store but the 2nd floor physcological warfare with the "sales associates" is just plain unpleasant. I can almost understand from a biz perspective why its done, but I just cant reconcile this as a consumer. I mean, most folks do like to browse a bit before buying which PS has made it impossible to do.

Now i know that some of you are going to say, just go in there and browse away and ignore the opressive atmppshere. But come on, shopping should not be a battle of wits....

I never have that feeling at BG, and as we all know, the prices and clientle there are equal to if not higher then PS.

5. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Senior member

So very well said. PS is my favorite store but the 2nd floor physcological warfare with the "sales associates" is just plain unpleasant. I can almost understand from a biz perspective why its done, but I just cant reconcile this as a consumer. I mean, most folks do like to browse a bit before buying which PS has made it impossible to do.

Now i know that some of you are going to say, just go in there and browse away and ignore the opressive atmppshere. But come on, shopping should not be a battle of wits....

I never have that feeling at BG, and as we all know, the prices and clientle there are equal to if not higher then PS.

Are they very snobby or just being overly agreesive to try to get you to buy something ? I was thinking about going to the PS store the first time the other day, would like to be mentally prepared, cuz there is nothing I hate more than annoying , snobby sales ppl.

6. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

My main complaint is that they (the SAs) simply won't leave you alone. Looking around without someone hawking over you is next to impossible on that floor. Its a true shame because I love most of their stuff. I'd be interested to hear comments from others.

7. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Agree that browsing on 2nd floor is a challenge. It seemed easier during the sale, as the high number of punters and lookers (like me) seems to have slightly demotivated the sales staff. I had an Indian gentleman show me the suits and sportcoats and he nicely left me alone for a bit, but when I tried a sportcoat on he said "Well, what do you think? Let's find you something to buy, you're here to buy, right?". I politely hemmed and hawed and said I wanted to see what they had, and he backed off a bit.

So...to those who are first-timers at PS - it is bad, but not as bad as some make it out to be, during sale time. Give it a shot, and be ready to politely push people away so that you can browse.

8. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

I respectfully disagree about going in a weathering the storm. The whole set up is desined NOT to let you browse so you must use a SA.

I have gone in to browse, and believe me i am strong as the next guy t4ehy esentially make you feel like a shoplifter if you are only browsing. Think secret service and you have the picture

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've been shopping at PS NY since 1982 and yes, the sales staff is aggressive, but no more so than many other stores I frequent. They are almost exclusively compensated by commission, so cut them some slack.

One thing that helps is to identify a sales person who you like to work with and when approached, say that you salesperson X's customer. Everyone else will immediately back off. I use Rick Barnes on the 2nd floor and he is highly knowledgeable, not pushy in the least. I also highly recommend Walter Nance on the 1st floor, not a pushy bone in his body and he has a definite flair for furnishings.

Follow this plan, and you be left to your own devices and only need seek out Walter or Rick (or whomever you chose) when you need them.

10. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Commission only is a shit way for a store of Paul Stuart's caliber to treat it's salespeople. I'd expect that from a used car lot or one of those "North Carolina" furniture stores in Manhattan but not them. Interestingly enough, the down market Paul Stuart sample sale is an absolute pleasure to shop.

11. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

This sounds like fun....I want to go!

12. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Commission only is a shit way for a store of Paul Stuart's caliber to treat it's salespeople.

And I ought to know. I worked there for a summer in between college and grad school...[​IMG]

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Interestingly enough, the down market Paul Stuart sample sale is an absolute pleasure to shop.

I thought the same thing the other day while looking at pants. I'll just wait for the sale.

Jostling elbows with the likes of you all is a damn sight more pleasurable than cresting the top stair at PS and looking into the ravenous eyes of the five salesmen lying in wait.

lefty

14. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Interestingly enough, the down market Paul Stuart sample sale is an absolute pleasure to shop.

I have to go to this in 2008. Apart from this this thread, how does one find out about the PS Sample Sale?

15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

The amazing thing is that the Chicago PS is the opposite. On a recent Saturday visit to Chicago, I wandered around the second floor there, fingering the fineries, looking for someone whom I could pose a question, all for naught. Literally, left alone as there was no one else on the floor.

Last time I was at the NYC PS, I had two people fighting to serve me, and one of them insisted I try on a jacket for size, even though I told them I had PS suits and knew my size already.