Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. johnnynorman

johnnynorman Well-Known Member

So, any predictions on the Asprey sale? Do they still carry Edward Green? I imagine they are just fire saling EVERYTHING in the store -- it's closing down soon, isn't it?

2. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Sciens, Plainfield (two hedge funds) and management bought the Company in an LBO transaction in March 2006. Garrard was concurrently sold to Yucaipa (PE shop)

Thanks for the update. It seems Asprey will be leaving Trump Tower after all but it's unclear whether they'll fold NY operation or relocate to a smaller and less expensive location.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...092362,00.html

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

This Asprey sale may be an activity for The Apprentice candidates. Please be on the lookout for the comb-forward.

4. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Well, I would certainly fire whoever set up their check out system!

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Can someone fill me on what kind of stuff Asprey will be selling and what kind of prices to expect? The usual business attire I'm guessing?

6. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Not business attire; there are no suits. At the last sale there were

cashmere sweaters
    cashmere/cotton polos
    cotton trousers
    a few shirts and ties
    scarves, hats
    shoes
    large selection of sport coats for spring through fall and outerwear
    women's and men's bags
    jewelry
    china and glassware, tableware

The quality is superb. The styling is ...refined and not very forward. The deals on shoes the first day (ed greens and lattanzis for 200 bucks) and outerwear (90% off cashmere overcoats the last day) were hard to believe.

I'm still not betting on a repeat of the last sale.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Who else is going to be at Asprey next Friday?

8. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I will be checking it out around lunch.

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Not business attire; there are no suits. At the last sale there were

cashmere sweaters
    cashmere/cotton polos
    cotton trousers
    a few shirts and ties
    scarves, hats
    shoes
    large selection of sport coats for spring through fall and outerwear
    women's and men's bags
    jewelry
    china and glassware, tableware

The quality is superb. The styling is ...refined and not very forward. The deals on shoes the first day (ed greens and lattanzis for 200 bucks) and outerwear (90% off cashmere overcoats the last day) were hard to believe.

I'm still not betting on a repeat of the last sale.

The shoes weren't that cheap and they were all gone by the time they got around to marking stuff down to 90% off. Still good prices, though...

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

11. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Ok, the Ed Green boots were 80% off 1050 ($210) and the Lattanzis were 80% off 1100 ($220). I'm also enjoying the pebble grain captoe italian shoes I bought that were 80% off 600. The Lattanzis for Asprey can't really be compared to their own name models, but the shoe is still very well made and the rich brown color is superb.

I wonder if they'll have any of the shell cordovan waffle stompers or pastel-colored loafers they sell at the store?

At the Asprey store after the sale, I noticed that one of the EG-made models (a three eyelet black blucher) had been replaced by an IDENTICAL model made by an unknown italian shop.

In addition to the sale shoes, I picked up three pairs of EGs from the main store at around 340 a pop.

12. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I was there the first day at the asprey sale, maybe not as early as others. But it wasn't like there were pairs upon pairs of EGs or Lattanzis. Probably not more than 4-5 pairs of both. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

13. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was there the first day at the asprey sale, maybe not as early as others. But it wasn't like there were pairs upon pairs of EGs or Lattanzis. Probably not more than 4-5 pairs of both. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. I was inside the sale within an hour of it opening and all the EG and Lattanzi were already gone. I obtained my pairs through the sales at the London and NY sales and as well as one pair repurposed from another SF member.

BTW, I was just at the Asprey store and there is lim pickings, to put it mildly. There are currently 3 EG shoes still being sold, 1)3 eyelet black blucher 2) Falmouth like monk strap in dark brown suede and 3) Belgravia like loafer in suede. There are a few Lattanzi models left as well, 1) Venetian loafer in three different colors and IIRC several different croc models.

The clothing was basically nonexistant. Asprey has closed the third floor (where men's RTW used to be) and combined it with women's RTW on the 2nd floor. There was some cashmere, casual trousers and sport shirts, but nothing like the assortment from the winter. Hopefully they've got a bunch of stuff sitting in a warehouse or this sale is going to be a snooze.

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Are they running big sales at the store now?

15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

That being said, there were several pair of women's Lattanzi loafers for sale, including ostrich and croc. The ostrich were like $300 and the croc were around $500. Women weren't touching them and instead swiping strap-py $40 sandals from each other.

I'll go for more china.