Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. nbutter

nbutter Senior member

Linus sale report:

Clothes are made in Romania/Poland from Italian/German fabrics. Fused, but nicely cut in a European style. Prices are outstanding.

My haul: cocoa widewale cord slacks, $50. camel thin wale cord slacks (cotton/cashmere), $75. Lightweight 2B charcoal suit, $200. 2-ply french cuff spread colllar shirts, $50/$60.

Total for 1 suit, 3 shirts, 2 slacks: $485.

There were some really nice anthracite and camel SB wool topcoats for $200, and a bunch of basic flatfront slacks in nice wool fabrics for $50-75.

I definitely recommend for style on a budget!

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks for the report. What size are you? Did you see stock in 38R/ 32 pants? How is the selection on accessories?

3. nbutter

nbutter Senior member

didn't look for 38 but I am pretty sure they had some. you could certainly call.

the jackets run a bit roomy -- I am in between 42 and 44, and their 42 fit me very well. pants true to size.

not much in accessories -- some merino sweaters ($75?) and a few ties, but not many. didn't see scarves, gloves, etc. no shoes.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Thanks, man. I'll have to check it out. I'm on something of a suit kick lately.

5. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Steven Alan Sample Sale

What: Cotton shirts, cashmere sweaters, silk dresses, poplin pants, denim, and more for men and women are up to 80 percent off.

Why: It's back!

When: Thurs. & Fri., 8:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sat., noon-7 p.m.; Sun., noon-5 p.m.

Where: SAS Showroom, 87 Franklin St., b/t Church St. & Broadway (212-219-3305).

source: dailycandy.com

6. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Underground-NYC

What: More than 100 emerging designers showcase their wares at this new 10,000-square-foot space.

Why: Hit the Underground running.

When: Tues.-Fri., 11 a.m.-7 p.m.

Where: 1031 Sixth Ave., at 39th St. (212-239-7275).

7. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

Underground-NYC

What: More than 100 emerging designers showcase their wares at this new 10,000-square-foot space.

Why: Hit the Underground running.

When: Tues.-Fri., 11 a.m.-7 p.m.

Where: 1031 Sixth Ave., at 39th St. (212-239-7275).

This sounds interesting. Anyone have any more detailed info?

Thanks,
    Dan

8. sartorialmd

sartorialmd Member

9. sartorialmd

sartorialmd Member

any word on the Ralph Lauren sale at the 72nd & Mad store?

10. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Went to the Zanella sale, it was a mad house but I did walk about with three trousers for $112 a piece. Also hit up C21 and picked up 4 ties (2 H&B and 2 Battistoni).

Was really impressed by Barney's private label shoe offerings, anyone know who makes them? They had a split toe loafer and a chelsea boot that were as nice as many well known makers at very affordable prices ($350 - $425).

11. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Maybe Peluso (a complete stab in the dark) or Mantellassi (based on the way the label is sometimes sewn). I do think their house shoes are getting better, and because they go on drastic reduction, can be a very good value. I bought a pair of suede chelsea boots with a rubber sole for like $40 at the warehouse sale.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

It's the To Boot New York Warehouse/Showroom Sale! A Special 3 Day Event!!

New York's best dressed men wait all year for this incredible sale event! For three days only the world's finest men's footwear is on sale at prices 40% to 70% off regular retail!!

You'll enjoy a vast selection of Casual boots and dress boots, business and dress cap toes and wingtips, loafers and casual shoes perfect for jeans and weekends.

Nov. 9 - Fri. 8:30am-6:30pm;

Nov. 10 - Sat. 10:00am-6:00pm;

Nov. 11 - Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm.

Cash Only- No credit cards or checks accepted. No ATM on site.

Location: 603 Washington Street (between Morton & Leroy Street in the West Village) ground floor.

Transportation: By train, take the #1 or #9 to Christopher Street. Go West to Washington Street, then South, to #603 Washington Street.

Unimpressive and in many cases downright ugly selection.

However, there is a rack of higher end shoes of mostly larger sizes as soon as you walk in. Some shell Carmina loafers for about $250, Lobb loafers and chukkas $400 - $500, Sutors and Testonis for about the same.

lefty

13. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

So since you all are pretty on top of these things, I'm wondering if you might offer info/advice on going to these. I've been to a few, and sometimes, felt that things were still way too expensive, or selection was just off. But I get the impression from reading this thread there are better/worse times to go. Can someone explain this? Is it true that prices drop near the ends of these? Is it a case of either arriving at the very beginning or very end? Or do you keep checking back over the course of the period? I'd like to frequent more, but I just can't budget gobs of bargain-hunting time, so looking to refine the technique.

Advice greatly appreciated.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

So since you all are pretty on top of these things, I'm wondering if you might offer info/advice on going to these. I've been to a few, and sometimes, felt that things were still way too expensive, or selection was just off. But I get the impression from reading this thread there are better/worse times to go. Can someone explain this? Is it true that prices drop near the ends of these? Is it a case of either arriving at the very beginning or very end? Or do you keep checking back over the course of the period? I'd like to frequent more, but I just can't budget gobs of bargain-hunting time, so looking to refine the technique.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Depends on how much I like the brand and the sale's proximity to me.

As an example, during a Paul Stuart sale I would go on the first day to get the best shoes for myself at full sale price, then pop in at the end to grab the stuff that seems to only appeal to me, usually for a song.

If it's a brand that I'm neutral about I'll wait to the end for the deals.

lefty

15. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

What: The News
    Why: Sea, Cheap Monday, Clu, Band of Outsiders, Bruce, and more at wholesale prices.
    When: Nov. 14-16. Wed.-Fri., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
    Where: 495 Broadway, b/t Spring & Broome Sts., 5th flr. (212-925-9700).