Manhattan Sales Alert!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by von Rothbart, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Charlie

Charlie Senior member

i was there this morning. The suits in my size (44XL) were a mix of LTDs and Madisons. The Madison's were really nice. I did not buy any, only because OTR suits usually need a lot of alterations to fit me right, and i think my next suit will be MTM. I did, however, buy two sport coats (Madison) for $500.

I suspect that the Madison, Canterbury and Barrett suits in the more usual sizes may have gone yesterday.

2. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I stopped by around noon. There were some decent deals to be had. I tried on a very nice navy suit. Absolutely classic and in a very nice wool with a surprisingly nice shape to it. Would have been a good deal for the price if I needed it.

I'll be back later in the week. My mission was to find a tuxedo. I did, but the pants didn't match and they couldn't find them. Very frustrating.

Hmmm I thought you weren't going. I think they are better for their sport jackets than their suits. I'm sure you know 'cause you have fantastic jackets from them. I picked up a Velvet blazer but I have to replace the buttons. Their buttons are REALLY bad.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Hmmm I thought you weren't going. I think they are better for their sport jackets than their suits. I'm sure you know 'cause you have fantastic jackets from them. I picked up a Velvet blazer but I have to replace the buttons. Their buttons are REALLY bad.
    Man I ALWAYS go at some point. I hadn't planned on going on Sunday, but my need for a tux drove me to it. EDIT: So I went at lunch. Two suits now $1100. That doesn't include Hand Tailored and regular suits are still $630 or whatever it was. There's a rack of suits marked down to $400, most LTD but did see one Hand Tailored for Bergdorf in 40R, a tan-ish cotton with self stripes IIRC. Sportcoats are $250 now, and hickey stuff, a few casual trousers, sweaters and outerwear (1/3 off first price) all reduced. Nothing further on ties. Didn't look at shirts.

4. nbutter

nbutter Senior member

this is at the SSS Sample Sales place which I'm sure SF'ers are familiar with -- I'm a newbie here so I don't know much about it.. but 70% off Helmut Lang sure sounds good!

HELMUT LANG/RAG & BONE SALE

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 31ST

THROUGH

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 2ND

HOURS: W & TH 10AM - 7PM / F 10AM - 6PM

261 W 36th St, between 7th and 8th; 212.947.8748

50-70% off fall/winterwear from Helmut Lang, plus spring, summer, and fall pieces from Rag & Bone

(via Thrillist)

5. blank

blank Senior member

this is at the SSS Sample Sales place which I'm sure SF'ers are familiar with -- I'm a newbie here so I don't know much about it.. but 70% off Helmut Lang sure sounds good!

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 31ST

THROUGH

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 2ND

HOURS: W & TH 10AM - 7PM / F 10AM - 6PM

261 W 36th St, between 7th and 8th; 212.947.8748

50-70% off fall/winterwear from Helmut Lang, plus spring, summer, and fall pieces from Rag & Bone

(via Thrillist)

@&^$%&#$%&

These are two of my favorite lines...can ANYONE give a report on this? I could try to leave work at 6:30 tomorrow to check this out but only if I know there's some good deals or nice merchandise. Specifically, blazers and button-up shirts.

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 31ST

Anyone know if there will be any Helmut Lang jeans there? I thought HL's clothing line was defunct after the closure of its NYC store a year or two back.

7. Sartorian

Sartorian Senior member

The HF suits I saw today were all LTD's. Eh.

This afternoon I also made a stop at C21 downtown. It was way too crowded and the merchandise wasn't that great. There were long lines at the registers and the aisles were filled with people.

Is the Xmas shopping season already here?

It's always crowded.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Anyone know if there will be any Helmut Lang jeans there? I thought HL's clothing line was defunct after the closure of its NYC store a year or two back.

About a year or two ago the Helmut Lang name/brand was purchased by the same company which owns Theory and Elie Tahari. The husband and wife designer duo from Habitual were named creative directors/designers of the line for its re-launch...which is more of a contemporary brand than the designer level it was once at. You can find the line in Barneys Co-Op and a few other stores in NY. It really isn't half that bad design wise (just picked up some cords the other day).

Funny tidbit about it...orginally Alexandre Plohkov of Cloak was asked to be the designer of the re-launched line and declined as he "did not want to be responsible for the demise of the Helmut Lang name." Hinting that its new owners pushing for commercial success would loose the spirit of its namesake.

9. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Hmm, so I should not expect to find jeans that match the cut of the original HL classic straight-leg raw denim jeans?

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

Funny tidbit about it...orginally Alexandre Plohkov of Cloak was asked to be the designer of the re-launched line and declined as he "did not want to be responsible for the demise of the Helmut Lang name." Hinting that its new owners pushing for commercial success would loose the spirit of its namesake.

That is a funny tidbit....[​IMG]

12. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

EDIT: So I went at lunch. Two suits now $1100. That doesn't include Hand Tailored and regular suits are still $630 or whatever it was. There's a rack of suits marked down to $400, most LTD but did see one Hand Tailored for Bergdorf in 40R, a tan-ish cotton with self stripes IIRC. Sportcoats are $250 now, and hickey stuff, a few casual trousers, sweaters and outerwear (1/3 off first price) all reduced. Nothing further on ties. Didn't look at shirts.
    I went this morning. Suits and sportscoats were at the same price as posted above -- $629 for a single suit, but two for $1100. Cashmere sportscoats were reduced by $100 (from $600 to $500 I think). Outerwear was 1/2 off first price. Long sleeve knits were 3 for $125 (but still at $50 each). I ended up purchasing a double-faced wool coat, two mock turtlenecks, and a belt for $270 combined. Suit selection in my size (42L) was pretty unimpressive. There was an interesting SB PL suit in a light gray with blue or lilac windowpane, but it was too casual for me and I had to pass.

13. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I hope this wont seem too outlandish, but did anyone see the Bobby Jones baseball caps anywhere at the HF sale, with the golfer logo on the front? I've completelyt beat up the one I purchased a few years ago and was thinking of making a quick run by to pick up another one, or something comparable? Any hats of any type?

14. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

I hope this wont seem too outlandish, but did anyone see the Bobby Jones baseball caps anywhere at the HF sale, with the golfer logo on the front? I've completelyt beat up the one I purchased a few years ago and was thinking of making a quick run by to pick up another one, or something comparable? Any hats of any type?

I don't recall seeing any, but I wasn't really on the lookout and these may have escaped my notice.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I didn't see any caps either. I went at lunch today (they just can't keep me away). Top coats are still only 1/3 off, but they do have some nice pieces. 38R had three or four good ones. Not the cheapest price ever, but for classic coats well made in nice material, a very good deal.

The sportcoats I wanted in 38R were both gone, a navy coarsehair with bellows pockets and suede elbow patches (ridiculous, but cool) and a bright green corduroy. Oh well. There are still a lot of nice jackets left if you are looking for one. In size small (38R) they had that cashmere herringbone bobby jones jacket in light blue and light yellow for $150. A good price if you like the colors.

I managed to buy only a pair of red corduroys for self. The material was so fantastic that I bought two more to sell here. Not for the timid!