Mandate: Experiment a little (really, a plea)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Another great brand that I never see on the forum is McQ. The price point is kind of insane for a diffusion line - but you can find it on sale a lot, including on Yoox.

It's really great stuff. My McQ shirt is incredible, really thick material, beautiful construction and I paid 1/3 of retail for it at Filene's.

2. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i agree that the concepts behind raf are hardly on par with those of 99-03, but since I need tailored clothing, he and his jil stuff fit the bill much better than the alternatives, though I still prefer prada suiting to all others. ro tailoring is a joke, but they are my favorite leathers by far.

Remarkably, I went back. I have a fair bit of Menichetti Jil Sander stuff (so, first 6 collections or so), and also a lot of Raf Simons from his "protest" period (so, early 00's) but I find both Jil Sander by RS and RS mainline to be sort of sterile right now, and perhaps overly nostalgic at the same time. RO, I like his use of applications and washes, but find his fits really wierd, and Julius... well, I like the stuff, but don't have that much emotion about it one way or the other, except to say that the prices are prohibitive. I find that there is a lot more growth in the mid market than in the designer market right now.

3. onion

onion Senior member

TST: Interesting sneakers from a displaced Japanese designer. Athletic and outdoor inspired. Good materials.
    G.V. Conte - the stuff made for American Market is sort of boxy, but in the native line, you can get slimmer shirts on the cheap.

+1 to both of these brands. I have items from both labels and I wear them all regularly.

I'm actually wearing a GV Conte shirt right now (I assume it's the "native line"). It's very slim through the body (Darted in the back), with high arm holes, and is cut short. Ie exactly how I like my button downs.

I really like TST as well. It was founded by the former sneaker designer of Ludwig Reiter and Helmut Lang. The shoes seem to be inspired heavily by classic sneakers, like german army trainers, converse, vans, etc. Personally, I like the looks of TST a lot, and as you said, the materials are quite nice. Also for those who wear orthodics /special inserts, they have a removable insole.

4. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

Can't we be satisfied with looking distinct from 99% of our peers instead of going for 99.9% just for the sake of being 'distinctive'?

5. chiral

chiral Senior member

Can't we be satisfied with looking distinct from 99% of our peers instead of going for 99.9% just for the sake of being 'distinctive'?

I don't see it as being for the sake of being distinctive, but rather finding out about new things. Recently I've been buying some things which never get mentioned on this board, and been very happy with the results. Theres no reason not to branch out or compromise on quality.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I'm surprised Freemans Sporting Club hasn't got much mention on here. Great details, quality and fabrics. An excellent buy on discount as well. Wish I could get out to their NY boutique.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You need to define who, at least in this context, you define your peers to be. And in any case, in my opinion, no. You should be in a state of constant self critique and improvement.

8. PinkPantser

A piece of clothing being 'new' or different isn't an intrinsic quality, in my opinion.

People on this board complain about the WAYWT getting boring and that its a lot of the same looks hashed over and over again. How is it any better to go from SF approved brands to a freaking 'MANDATE' from SF to dress differently?

9. Nouveau Pauvre

"You must know the rules, before you can break them"

It seems that many on SF can follow the rules well. Good proportions, fit, color combination, and classic subtle style. This is only step 1 though. I think Fok is encouraging us to move on to step 2, and take some risks. We clearly know the rules, now it's time to break them

10. PinkPantser

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...11&postcount=9 - related post from Manton in MC
    "You must know the rules, before you can break them" It seems that many on SF can follow the rules well. Good proportions, fit, color combination, and classic subtle style. This is only step 1 though. I think J is encouraging us to move on to step 2, and take some risks. We clearly know the rules, now it's time to break them
    Oh, and I believe you have LA Guy mixed up with J, two different people.

11. Nouveau Pauvre

^ oops. Yeah I meant Fok (LA Guy.)

Manton's post was eloquent and I think, largely true. My essential contention is that many of us are stuck in step 1, and in light of Manton's post, "Step 3" is more different from "Step 1," then one may originally think.

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

A piece of clothing being 'new' or different isn't an intrinsic quality, in my opinion. People on this board complain about the WAYWT getting boring and that its a lot of the same looks hashed over and over again. How is it any better to go from SF approved brands to a freaking 'MANDATE' from SF to dress differently?
    I think it's great if Fok wants to give lend visibility to lesser-known designers he feels deserve recognition (thanks for the suggestions btw), though this does seem like a strange way to phrase it. If that's not the intent, then I'm not sure I follow. Encouraging discovery of new brands as a self-improvement exercise seems off. Re: the rules, I don't see what this has to do with "the rules".

13. LA Guy

Oh, and I believe you have LA Guy mixed up with J, two different people.

We are actually the same person. I am the Ego to his Id. Or maybe the other way around. We(I) get confused.

I hate to be critical because I am very appreciative of everything Fok does for us here (and thank you for the personal suggestions, I'm looking into it), but I agree that this is a bit of an odd request and I'm not sure I understand its intention. I mean, this is a message board for enthusiasts, why not just let things evolve organically? I suppose you could argue that we get hung up on the suggestions of the SF tastemakers, but in all fairness, most of the brands which are consistently represented here are highly visible even outside the SF sphere of influence (EG, BoO, APC). Also, it's not as though new SF-obsession brands aren't cropping up on their own in-line with SF general taste (Quoddy, for example).

I think it's great if Fok just wants to give lend visibility to lesser-known designers he feels deserve recognition, but this is a strange way to phrase it. Also, the self-improvement angle is weird. Furthermore, I don't see what this has to do with "the rules".

Well, this is not a Styleforum official mandate or anything. I am, unless acting as a mod or admin, in which case you'd know, just another poster. My point is that it is fun and interesting to learn new things. In this context, you could either concentrate on finding new brands that resonate with your personal style, or you could make a concerted envelope to see how new concepts could fit into your style. I'm not trying to makeover anyone. I am saying "Try something new every day, your life (and in this case, wardrobe) will be enriched.

14. LA Guy

A piece of clothing being 'new' or different isn't an intrinsic quality, in my opinion.
    You are quite right. But if you learn about something you had no knowledge of before, you've enriched yourself.

15. dusty

dusty Senior member

Ha, I bought a D&G sweater the other day (hasn't come in yet). I felt dirty about it but hopefully it will work out.