1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Manbag Options

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SeanP, Jun 22, 2011.

1. SeanP

SeanP Active Member

SF-
    I work in finance (operations / audit) and am needing a new man bag to carry my corporate laptop and training materials. Having my eye on a tan Filson 257, would that be too casual?

Monday/Tues/Fri are my formal days and have my Brooks Brothers suits and business casual (slacks/button down dress shirt) on other two days. Is this bag able to pull it off ok?

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG] i think its too casual but this gentleman seems to pull it off well

3. changy

changy Senior member

I think leather bags generally looks better with suits.

4. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

I think it depends on the overall style and how you carry yourself ... I actually believe that not only it can be pulled off but I can see it as a personal touch ... think a beat up tan filson 257, lots of character

5. SeanP

SeanP Active Member

I do mostly operational items and laptop is the primary resource with the exception of my personal Ipad or folios I might throw in. Found the Filson thread and agree the older more "used" bags look great, but didnt know if canvas would be too casual. Not working on wall street yet, but just need a good looking bag that can look good and put up a battle.

And then I saw the brown Filson and the tan....maybe I need two

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

7. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

I have the jack spade work twill haversack in gray and love it. Even better, it is on sale at Nordstrom right now.

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have this
    [​IMG]

and this
    [​IMG]

both by RL. I get a lot of comments on them.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

The Filson looks good. One person at my school has one and it looks good with a sport coat.

However, if you're interested in leather, there is only one option for a true manbag...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. GusW

^^^looks way to heavy and clunky. I don't get the appeal of a heavy leather bag like that at all.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

^^^looks way to heavy and clunky. I don't get the appeal of a heavy leather bag like that at all.

He asked about a manbag, not a purse or a briefcase.

Edit - said partly in jest. It is bulky and heavy. I guess you have to be a certain size to pull it off.

12. GusW

He asked about a manbag, not a purse or a briefcase.

The "purse" you refer to is based upon a classic British field bag. [​IMG]

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I've seen that explanation often in the SW&D forum. It's like you're trying to convince me of something.

The bag you posted doesn't look too bad. More importantly, it's your money and you don't have to convince me of anything to begin with.

Anyway, the OP asked and I suggested Saddleback.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

It is. But all the same, I really, really, really love my Saddleback bag. I literally packed it in my checked roller bag on my trip to SF for my camera gear (it also did yeoman's service when called upon to pack out my haul from D&M). It does have a real heaviness which is its cache.
    Indeed. Filson stuff is very beautiful, but I, too, agree that with a suit, all leather is better -- though there is an extent to which in the most professional environments, I wouldn't actually want a Saddleback -- they are a little rougher than that. ~ H

15. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

Saddleback is rugged, no doubt. Probably not appropriate for a financial-type job. But sales or tech support? Stick a laptop or two in there with a three-ring binder full of technical notes and a wad of brochures, a flashlight, some tools, etc. It's a definitely a MANbag. And looks a helluvalot nicer than ballistic nylon.