Management Consulting Discussion

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

I had not done much international travel until McKinsey so the first two years were pretty exciting flying all over the place.

Travel has become a much ruder, more challenging aspect since 9/11 though. The TSA does seem to be getting a bit better on my recent travels but the hassle factor is high.

Aah, another FMNO guy!

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Aah, another FMNO guy!

[​IMG] Foreign Mobile Network Operator?

3. Artisan Fan

yep Banking is a very collaborative culture among the lower ranks, but a backstabbing culture in the higher ranks.
    That was exactly my experience. Having said that, I did learn quite a bit in banking. That financial education was quite valuable for things I am doing today. If I had to do it over I would joined the Corp Fin practice at McKinsey instead of i-banking. I almost got an offer there out of school, just falling short. Fortunately the head of it and I became friends through another venture and he works at Monitor now.

4. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I think there is some of this here http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=206659
    Thanks for the reference. It didn't, alas have the information I was looking for. There's some pretty good joke in the thread, however.

5. abc123

abc123 Senior member

Good discussion. Would appreciate any insight about my situation - I'm nearing 3 years in financial consulting (big name firm, valuation and restructuring work), which has given me a good background in finance, modeling, etc. Also am wrapping up a masters in econ (focusing primarily on quantitative methods - econometrics, etc., but definitely not a quant) and did internships in m&a while in undergrad. I'm in DC, so much of my work has been in the federal space, though in an area where the public/private boundries are fairly blurred.

I'd like to move to more of a strategy oriented position, preferably in house, but perhaps MBB/similar firm. Any insight on whether my background is seen as a 'fit' for strategy positions, what my weaknesses may be from knowing similar applicants, etc.? Any good recommendations for the job search for someone who has a few years of experience, but isn't doing post-mba recruiting? Any tips for places to look in DC?

6. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

Good discussion. Would appreciate any insight about my situation - I'm nearing 3 years in financial consulting (big name firm, valuation and restructuring work), which has given me a good background in finance, modeling, etc. Also am wrapping up a masters in econ (focusing primarily on quantitative methods - econometrics, etc., but definitely not a quant) and did internships in m&a while in undergrad. I'm in DC, so much of my work has been in the federal space, though in an area where the public/private boundries are fairly blurred.

I'd like to move to more of a strategy oriented position, preferably in house, but perhaps MBB/similar firm. Any insight on whether my background is seen as a 'fit' for strategy positions, what my weaknesses may be from knowing similar applicants, etc.? Any good recommendations for the job search for someone who has a few years of experience, but isn't doing post-mba recruiting? Any tips for places to look in DC?

You sound like a perfect candidate for Booz Allen.

7. calisanfran

[​IMG] Foreign Mobile Network Operator?

firm member number.

8. Artisan Fan

firm member number.

That's an old acronym. When were you at McK? What office?

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

hey Lee - I have a question for you - what next?

I know you have worked at 2 of the highest regarded consulting firms on earth, but what next?

Do you want to stay in consulting? Start your own consultancy? Go client side?

10. Artisan Fan

I'm honestly too busy to think about it most days. I'd like to finish a business method patent I am working on with two others, an article on marketing analytics, and make partner at the current consulting firm. I'm also starting a small record label so that keeps me busy on the weekends.

11. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I'm also starting a small record label so that keeps me busy on the weekends.
    just make sure you use good speaker cables. Everything else is irrelevant [​IMG]

12. calisanfran

That's an old acronym. When were you at McK? What office?

'05 - '08.

13. Artisan Fan

just make sure you use good speaker cables. Everything else is irrelevant [​IMG]

Well for a label the mic cables are key. We use Kimber KCAG and Pear Comice, two fine silver cables with XLR connectors of course and a splitter to have the extra set feed a second recording box.

14. Artisan Fan

'05 - '08.

Terrific. Any particular industry and region?

15. calisanfran

Terrific. Any particular industry and region?

Yep - Pharma, NJE.