1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Management Consulting Discussion

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

lol! were they friends before joining MBB, or became friends after meeting at MBB?

2. mrhills0146

mrhills0146 Well-Known Member

Keep friends and colleagues separate.

I like my colleagues, but I can't let myself get too close personally. You never know when someone will end up being your boss or when you'll end up being someone else's boss. When that happens, IMO it adds extra complication that you don't need.

To be clear, I am friendly, and I really like my boss, my colleagues, and my staff. For my staff, I'm not your buddy, I'm your boss. My boss and I have the same relationship, and it works quite well.

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Though I did so in my first gig out of school (and I'm still friends with many of them) I prefer not to party with those I work directly with. And these days those from the office I party with are in different departments with little professional interaction. I've probably had a beer with my direct co-workers maybe 3 times in the past 2.5 years.

4. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

what happens when your co-workers become your close friends? most of the younger guys i spoke to said that they hang out together after work and party.

just because you hang out together after work and party doesn't mean that you're friends. i play golf with my boss(es) around twice a month and we have dinner quite often. doesn't mean we're friends.

be fun but don't get attached

Keep friends and colleagues separate.

I like my colleagues, but I can't let myself get too close personally. You never know when someone will end up being your boss or when you'll end up being someone else's boss. When that happens, IMO it adds extra complication that you don't need.

To be clear, I am friendly, and I really like my boss, my colleagues, and my staff. For my staff, I'm not your buddy, I'm your boss. My boss and I have the same relationship, and it works quite well.

this.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

kk gotcha.

what else should i be aware of, as i make my transition into real-life?

6. someyoungman

someyoungman Member

geez if you like the people then become friends. don't artificially draw lines like that.
    just don't be an ass - people in real life don't like that either

7. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

what else should i be aware of, as i make my transition into real-life?

-Dress well
    -Stay out of debt & don't inflate your lifestyle as you progress in your career
    -Travel often
    -Learn from your mistakes

8. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

What are the top 5, 10, or so Management Consulting firms to apply for out of undergrad? (other than MBB)

9. bananananana

bananananana Senior member

vault.com should have the info you're looking for. Off the top of my head, there are the big 5 accounting/consulting firms, monitor group, at kearney, booz, mercer.

10. scientific

scientific Senior member

step 1: never, ever, take advice from yjeezle
    step 2: profit

11. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

step 1: never, ever, take advice from yjeezle
    step 2: profit

damn you got some major beef dude.

12. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

1. Dress well 2. Stay out of debt & don't inflate your lifestyle as you progress in your career 3. Travel often 4. Learn from your mistakes
    1 + StyleForvm != 2

13. kxk

kxk Well-Known Member

vault.com should have the info you're looking for. Off the top of my head, there are the big 5 accounting/consulting firms, monitor group, at kearney, booz, mercer.

there are also some excellent boutique firms that should also give you some excellent exit ops, such as LEK or Parthenon. Not ranked too high by vault, though, so you'd have to do some research.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

could someone with sales management consulting experience speak about their experiences? also how does it compare to other forms of consulting (i.e. risk management, ligation, etc)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Are you talking about consulting on sales compensation, or on how to sell? Or CRM / Marketing? I've never heard of management consulting focused on "sales".

16. dune

dune Senior member

Might be a silly question, but still: I'm in business school right now (Master in General Management), previous degree is a Master in Literature and Linguistics, with less than stellar grades. Some of the major consulting companies have recruitment events at my school, but I have been told that I shouldn't bother, since they'll never pay attention to someone with my grades/background. Is this true, or should I try anyway?

17. hannibal06

hannibal06 Well-Known Member

If you don't even try, guess what the outcome is guaranteed to be..

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Yep, Sales Management Consulting

a little snippet listed under the "about" tab of a company im applying to:

XXX has a single focus: helping the world's leading sales teams drive growth. Backed by 26 years of experience, deep industry data and a proven sales growth methodology, XXX provides sales management consulting to allow sales organizations to anticipate change, align their sales force with company goals and drive sales ROI.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  19. hannibal06

hannibal06 Well-Known Member

If you really don't want people to know where you're applying, you should alter/delete the text. Google easily points you to the company.

20. dune

dune Senior member

True, but I also know that I'll be flooded with work soon enough, and I go for this I'd put effort into. Want to try to figure out beforehand whether it wouldn't just be a waste.