Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Management Consulting Discussion

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt [email protected]

or you could PM me and I'd have both an answer and my life [​IMG]

2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

or you could PM me and I'd have both an answer and my life [​IMG]

I've heard that Assange is working on a dump of all SF PMs for his next leak. [​IMG]

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I've heard that Assange is working on a dump of all SF PMs for his next leak. [​IMG]

Oh noes. Millions of sock puppets will be exposed. The shoe damage alone will be a danger to the economy.

4. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

F - where was your ILW? I had a blast in Singapore. Missed out on Kitzbuhel though [​IMG] .

5. Artisan Fan

AF - where was your ILW? I had a blast in Singapore. Missed out on Kitzbuhel though [​IMG] .

I missed out on Kitzbuhel as well. [​IMG] Lots of good European travel though. Did some serious damage in Milan and London and Cologne which was great for Kiton deals back in 2000.

6. John152

John152 Well-Known Member

I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move?

I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.

7. maverick

maverick Senior member

I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move?

I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.

Best way... would be to just apply for a job.

8. Artisan Fan

I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move? I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.
    Go into marketing or risk analytics. Worked very well for me.

9. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Best advice I got was to always work with math. That's a skill that most people don't have, and few professional career paths teach. Now if only I'd listened.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Risk analytics with a political science undergrad? [​IMG]

11. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

12. Artisan Fan

Risk analytics with a political science undergrad? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Apart from the obvious (less networking, less glamorous clients and possible less pay), what are the risks with taking a job with a boutique vs an MBB? Do you recommend MBA's apply for MBB first and only then settle for a job with a boutique if they don't get in vs just applying to a boutique straight up? Are the exit opportunities from a boutique really that much worse and is it possibletomove from a small boutique into an MBB after a few years?

excellent question.
    [​IMG]

14. Artisan Fan

My view would be try to get some major firm experience for better training if you are young and relatively inexperienced.

If you have more experience and a specialty focus, a boutique is a perfectly reasonable choice.

15. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

So what would count as 'major firm' in this context?