Management Consulting Discussion

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Artisan Fan, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt [email protected]

or you could PM me and I'd have both an answer and my life [​IMG]

2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

or you could PM me and I'd have both an answer and my life [​IMG]

I've heard that Assange is working on a dump of all SF PMs for his next leak. [​IMG]

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I've heard that Assange is working on a dump of all SF PMs for his next leak. [​IMG]

Oh noes. Millions of sock puppets will be exposed. The shoe damage alone will be a danger to the economy.

4. calisanfran

calisanfran Senior member

F - where was your ILW? I had a blast in Singapore. Missed out on Kitzbuhel though [​IMG] .

5. Artisan Fan

AF - where was your ILW? I had a blast in Singapore. Missed out on Kitzbuhel though [​IMG] .

I missed out on Kitzbuhel as well. [​IMG] Lots of good European travel though. Did some serious damage in Milan and London and Cologne which was great for Kiton deals back in 2000.

6. John152

John152 Well-Known Member

I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move?

I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.

7. maverick

maverick Senior member

I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move?

I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.

Best way... would be to just apply for a job.

8. Artisan Fan

I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or something like that be a smart move? I'm likely going to go down the academic path, but I have a curiosity about other potential options.
    Go into marketing or risk analytics. Worked very well for me.

9. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Best advice I got was to always work with math. That's a skill that most people don't have, and few professional career paths teach. Now if only I'd listened.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Risk analytics with a political science undergrad? [​IMG]

11. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  12. Artisan Fan

Risk analytics with a political science undergrad? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Apart from the obvious (less networking, less glamorous clients and possible less pay), what are the risks with taking a job with a boutique vs an MBB? Do you recommend MBA's apply for MBB first and only then settle for a job with a boutique if they don't get in vs just applying to a boutique straight up? Are the exit opportunities from a boutique really that much worse and is it possibletomove from a small boutique into an MBB after a few years?

excellent question.
    [​IMG]

14. Artisan Fan

My view would be try to get some major firm experience for better training if you are young and relatively inexperienced.

If you have more experience and a specialty focus, a boutique is a perfectly reasonable choice.

15. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

So what would count as 'major firm' in this context?