Man of Steel (2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Neo_Version 7, Jan 30, 2011.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The last Superman movie made decent money but it was also one of the most expensive films ever made at around $200m+. Internationally it made less than $400m and compared to TDK that cost less and made a billion bucks. And since that last Superman movie didn't hype up so well, chances are the next one might flop so having a huge budget with the same writers, cast and director is just not a risk they are willing to take.

2. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

He'll be good the important thing is the script.

This. People obsess over all the wrong details. Casting is one of those details. Yes, the actor does make or break the part to some degree. But the script is much more important. I'll reseve judgment until I hear more details on the plot, and even then, I'll reserve judgment until I see previews.

3. dcg

dcg Senior member

Not a bad choice, at least he looks different. I do remember reading that they wanted to make Superman older in the next movie so this works.

I still believe in Nolan so I'll see what he brings to this movie. I also like Snyder and actually very much enjoyed 300 and Watchmen, and very much looking forward to his next film Sucker Punch, so that is more reason to like this movie. I guess we'll see a lot of green screen background and slow-mo action in the next film. Bring on Doomsday, bring on Brainiac, bring on Darkseid and kick the movie off in the right direction. See what the Joker did to TDK? Get those viarls working and there could be a very big movie here.

This. Brainiac might be tough (I don't know a ton about Superman), but he needs some bad-ass super powerful villain that he can punch/throw around/shoot laserbeams from his eyes at/use frozen breath on. It's a pretty one-dimensional character. We don't need to see Superman using his brain. That's what Batman's for.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Not a bad choice, at least he looks different. I do remember reading that they wanted to make Superman older in the next movie so this works.

I still believe in Nolan so I'll see what he brings to this movie. I also like Snyder and actually very much enjoyed 300 and Watchmen, and very much looking forward to his next film Sucker Punch, so that is more reason to like this movie. I guess we'll see a lot of green screen background and slow-mo action in the next film. Bring on Doomsday, bring on Brainiac, bring on Darkseid and kick the movie off in the right direction. See what the Joker did to TDK? Get those viarls working and there could be a very big movie here.

Fairly certain they have already announced that the villain is going to be Zod. Not my first choice, but at least he would give Supes someone strong to fight.

No way they could pull off Darkseid with any justice. I could see Brainiac, but Darkseid is too out there. Doomsday wouldn't work for a reboot, IMO.

5. ratratan

ratratan Active Member

am still waiting for the quentin tarrantino bond movie with clive owen.

6. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Fairly certain they have already announced that the villain is going to be Zod. Not my first choice, but at least he would give Supes someone strong to fight.

Why do you say things, when you know I will kill you?-Zod

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Maybe we'll get one half-decent Superman movie out of this, after several cinematographic turds. Good childhood memories for sure but still turds.

I would have much prefered Raimi or Favreau than Nolan or Snyder but I don't get to pick.

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I can't wait to hear who they cast as Luthor. Lex won't be the main villain, but you got to know he's going to be in the film somehow.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Maybe we'll get one half-decent Superman movie out of this, after several cinematographic turds. Good childhood memories for sure but still turds. I would have much prefered Raimi or Favreau than Nolan or Snyder but I don't get to pick.
    Favreau? Really? I think he got lucky with Iron Man 1 but the second one was entertaining but not as good as the first one. I mean just look at one jeff bridges had to say about the first film.
    It was most likely the production companies fault because they were rushed. It worked for the first one, not as well for the sequel. I am still not too impressed with Favreau though. I give more credit to what Downey and Bridges did than Favreau himself. I respect that he did turn down the job for the 3rd Iron Man film and the Avengers film because Marvel (Disney) is telling him what to do and all but I'm just not convinced he is as good of a director. I think the same problem is happening with the XMen: First Class film, it is set to release this June and they were still shooting scenes in LA last week.

10. gdl203

Well Iron Man did turn out great, strong script or not - a very balanced film overall. So did Spider-Man. So clearly a testament to the talent of the directors. Compare that to the pseudo-dark-ninja-shaolin-smoky bullshit that the Dark Knight was... Yes, sure, perfectly storyboarded throughout, but a huge stack of lifeless, coolified waste for comic convention goth teenagers' consumption. So yeah... give me Favreau over Nolan any day... YMMV [​IMG]

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Well, I got not problem with Raimi, SM! and SM2 were great, SM3 not so much but I think Marvel forced Venom down his throat so he made up a role for him which ruined the movie. So Raimi is cool in my books, Favreau, I still feel like he just lucked out with a great cast who could improv.

Really? TDK, goth? [​IMG] TDK is still the best comic book film out there despite Maggie Gylenhaals mug on the screen. Batman Begins was real good too.

Also interesting fact while listening to the radio earlier today, they mentioned that the main super heroes are now mostly Brit, Superman, Batman and Spider Man. At least they got a real American for Capt. America. [​IMG]

12. gdl203

doh... I meant Batman Begins not the Dark Knight for the inane shaolin BS... I fail [​IMG]

That said, Favreau's Elf is better than either films IMO [​IMG]

13. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

^^ Don't forget Hugh Jackman who is like Australian. [​IMG]

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

^^ Don't forget Hugh Jackman who is like Australian. [​IMG]

Same as Thor.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

doh... I meant Batman Begins not the Dark Knight for the inane shaolin BS... I fail [​IMG]

That said, Favreau's Elf is better than either films IMO [​IMG]

Women-wise maybe, Deschanel is just dreamy.