• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man Bag

freeman3030

Reaction score
Hi, I can't find an 'Accessories' sub section of the forum but want to ask about Man Bags. From a practical standpoint, a bag would be perfect for me. I hate bulging pockets, my car keys scratch my phone and many times I find myself having to pull my trousers up purely because of the fact that I'm carrying so much weight in my pockets, it makes my trousers fall down It's very annoying! I'm after something masculine, but nothing massive. All I'd be putting in it is: Keys, Phone, Wallet, a bottle of water (as I could probably afford to carry one) and an apple. I've looked on the Louis Vuitton website and found this (its in the 'Damier Geant Canvas' collection, the one on the far right, the 'Mini Citadin') http://www.louisvuitton.com/uk/flash...seo/UK/EN/prod I just want other options really as to what others can suggest. Also a guideline as to how to choose a bag for a guy without it looking feminine. Many thanks, James

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. And have been for awhile. Finding a good bag is apparently hard.

Watchaholic

Reaction score
Not a big fan of the LV bags other then for luggage personally, but in the size you are after I love my Mulberry Anthony Satchel(s) and have one in black and tan for the past couple of years and generally always with me when I am casually dressed.

Recently though I have started looking at some of the Belstaff satchels as they seem great, although slightly bulky for what you might be after

http://www.mulberry.com/#/storefront.../507/category/

mulberry-black-antony-small-day-bag.jpg
mulberry-oak-anthony-satchel.jpg

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The closer the bag approaches a square, like the ones above, the closer I think it begins to look feminine. In general, you can't really have a small bag without it looking feminine. There are exceptions, however - like the Filson Field Satchel. You might also want to check eBay under soft briefcases. There are often really good, small bags on there to be had at much cheaper prices. I recently won this one, for example http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1154 One similar to it is here, and the auction ends in about 12 hours. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1154 Those come up fairly often. They're fairly small bags, which is what you seem to want, but function more as soft briefcases. As it goes, I think briefcases are the only bags that are distinctively not feminine, though some satchels like the Filson Field Satchel are also fine.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those bags are too small. I use cages and crates to hold my men. Now if you are looking for a masculine bag, I would agree the Filsons or the Saddlebacks are the way to go.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How about something like this:
Looks nice, but I wouldn't be comfortable wearing it with a suit. I think there is no real alternative to a classic briefcase (or portfolio if you pack light).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads