• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maltese Falcon-wear

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Trousers havent given way to skirts yet.
And that, my friends, is the real shame of it all.

pgoat

Reaction score
Film noir Buff (or may I call you FNB?), I agree 100%, tho there are those who do want to go 'all vintage' (just check out the Fedora Lounge)

to each his own, i say, but I've always preferred taking elements of vintage and incorporating them into a new interpretation, rather than wear a faithfull full blown costume.

As for DBs in today's world, and I own several (about 5 Dbs vs. 10 SBs); I personally feel they:

1. will never go away completely because they do offer more style, something different, etc for the man who wants to take a little extra trouble,

and

2. will always take a back seat to SB following WWII, because, like so many other changes following wars, men chose to dress in clothes that were more comfortable, practical and 'easy to wear', as with their uniforms. In decades past men have also done this with sportswear (and by that I mean tailored sportswear, but also athletic wear and work clothes, such as the great Blue Jeans infiltration of the 1960s)

If some on this board are indeed young enough to have never owned a DB, I would offer - and those that have worn both can back me up or not - that a SB is just less of a pain - easier to button/unbutton, and the fact that you CAN unbutton it without looking like a slob helps.

Not that wearing a DB causes personal injury or requires a degree from Harvard; In short, I prefer to wear a DB on days when I want to put in the extra effort to look put together, and feel they are a nice way of showing that I am making an effort. I wear them to meetings or when giving a presentation, etc. On easy days at work when there are no meetings, I prefer a SB, sometimes with no tie or a polo. I do work in a low key environment ('business casual') so That's still fairly dressy......but I do succumb to the 'lazy slob' factor.......

pgoat

Reaction score
btw, my prediction is that the neck tie will eventually become extinct.......tho I prolly won't live to see that, alas.....they look great but man, I hate wearing them sometimes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Letterman wears one and no one notices.

But he takes impeccibly tailored DBs, wears it unbuttoned and looks atrocious in it. Hardly a case study worth producing to showcase their elegance!

Trousers havent given way to skirts yet.
No, they have given way to khakis as casual friday continues its march earlier into the week.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pgoat
Film noir Buff (or may I call you FNB?), I agree 100%, tho there are those who do want to go 'all vintage' (just check out the Fedora Lounge)

to each his own, i say, but I've always preferred taking elements of vintage and incorporating them into a new interpretation, rather than wear a faithfull full blown costume.

As for DBs in today's world, and I own several (about 5 Dbs vs. 10 SBs); I personally feel they:

1. will never go away completely because they do offer more style, something different, etc for the man who wants to take a little extra trouble,

and

2. will always take a back seat to SB following WWII, because, like so many other changes following wars, men chose to dress in clothes that were more comfortable, practical and 'easy to wear', as with their uniforms. In decades past men have also done this with sportswear (and by that I mean tailored sportswear, but also athletic wear and work clothes, such as the great Blue Jeans infiltration of the 1960s)

If some on this board are indeed young enough to have never owned a DB, I would offer - and those that have worn both can back me up or not - that a SB is just less of a pain - easier to button/unbutton, and the fact that you CAN unbutton it without looking like a slob helps.

Not that wearing a DB causes personal injury or requires a degree from Harvard; In short, I prefer to wear a DB on days when I want to put in the extra effort to look put together, and feel they are a nice way of showing that I am making an effort. I wear them to meetings or when giving a presentation, etc. On easy days at work when there are no meetings, I prefer a SB, sometimes with no tie or a polo. I do work in a low key environment ('business casual') so That's still fairly dressy......but I do succumb to the 'lazy slob' factor.......

Please do call me FNB, or Buff.

Another reason DBs are not going anywhere is because American women like men in them. Case closed. In the media age it takes a catclysmic reason to kill an item of clothing. Take the Ascot. The Ascot should be dead but it isnt. People still recognize it as clothing vs. costume. They might think the wearer is pompous but they still recognize the ascot as a legitimate "choice" for clothing.

Whereas spats place you squarely within the ranks of the extraordinarily odd. I Imagine people might be amused at first and think you were in an old Broadway production. However, amusement would change to disbelief once they understood you were wearing this artifact as a serious item of clothing.

The same is true for the Top Hat. The Top Hat is so far removed from being comfortably seen in public that its appearance marks you as odd in the extreme. There was a time when everyone who was anyone wore them. For this very reason you make yourself look not so much as someone who wants to dress nicely as someone who yearns for the past. Thats fine, it just isnt loving to get dressed. Wearing suits from 1940? Thats absolutely fine, even loads of fun. It just isnt something a man who specifically loves clothing and getting dressed does.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Buff.

you wish
tongue.gif

laugh.gif

is devilsisland.com taken?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Note that Bogey buttons both buttons of the DBs above.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like DB suits, but only have one-- the single breasted variety are just easier to manage and can be unbuttoned, etc. if necessary.

however, with DB suits like this still being produced, i can't imagine the 6x2 double breasted suit will ever REALLY fade away.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-4-2k-BORRELL...QQcmdZViewItem

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads