• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Malo quality question

daytrader

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Had a question. Was wondering what the quality is like for Malo?? Was thinking about buying a few Malo items. Good quality??? Thanks in advance.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am puzzled by clothing Co. like Malo or Loro Piana or Barba. Who would have thougt that there is a market niche in boring wooly wear...
I sincerely hope they go under in this market downturn.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good quality. Yoox had some stuff at deep discount at S/S Sale, that I picked up.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the best cashmere quality and nice understated styling.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Malo for basics and have found the quality to be quite good. I wouldn't pay full retail, though.

rexor12

Reaction score
Malo is very good quality, and the fit is quite slim which i like. many of the other high quality cashmere brands have a more classic fit. i wouldent pay full retail either but if you find it on sale go for it!

rogerm

Reaction score
I think the quality on Malo is great and it's all very timeless stuff. However I have noticed some fit differences between seasons. Some sweaters are fitted and some not so much. Good stuff, but pricey. Sales are the way to go!

Material Boy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
I think the quality on Malo is great and it's all very timeless stuff. However I have noticed some fit differences between seasons. Some sweaters are fitted and some not so much. Good stuff, but pricey. Sales are the way to go!

+1,

Very pricey, Malo shirts for Fall are $625, that is more than what I saw for Kiton, Brioni, Borrelli etc. $2495 for an Nylon outerwear piece.....

Malo just changed its designer not too long ago. Not sure how that will affected its look.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who say you wouldn't pay full retail:

Say you that out of habit of never paying retail or because you feel they are overpriced for the quality and thus not a good value?

An important distinction, I believe.

rogerm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant

Say you that out of habit of never paying retail or because you feel they are overpriced for the quality and thus not a good value?

Hmmm...good question. From my experience 2 years ago you couldn't find a Malo anything in San Francisco. It just was not carried until Saks brought one rack on their stuff. I heard about Malo, but had never been able to try it on. Fell in love right away. Quality was/is very good. After that I couldn't find any Malo stuff until Barney's and Bloomingdales moved into SF. The pickings are still very-very slim, but available. The stuff is overpriced in that I can't afford it at full retail (there was a t-shirt for $260 at Barneys last season - I mean come the **** on a $260 basic t-shirt!). So overpriced and great quality.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant

Because one shouldn't be spending on $650 on a cashmere sweater. Buy yourself a good $200 one and give the rest to (1) your family, (2) another toy for yourself or (3) charity.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I am puzzled by clothing Co. like Malo or Loro Piana or Barba. Who would have thougt that there is a market niche in boring wooly wear... I sincerely hope they go under in this market downturn.
Does anybody take you seriously? You're the oddest poster I've ever seen on a forum filled with odd posters. Malo makes excellent stuff, including leather goods. It's pricey, but very simply styled and classic. I think it's a little more modern than Cuccinelli or Loro Piana, but still well done overall. Nevertheless, I haven't seen there stuff in the last few years, so my experience with the recent stuff is limited.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a yet to come across Malo product which @ the very least wouldn't be adequate. Different look too, but in a good way. A lot of their garments seem to have been cut with a continental man in mind. Though if you're under the age of 25 and can afford the price tag, I'd say - rock on
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Because one shouldn't be spending on $650 on a cashmere sweater. Buy yourself a good $200 one and give the rest to (1) your family, (2) another toy for yourself or (3) charity.

I feel like this is at least the fourth or fifth time I've wound up trolling for Gilt, but I bought a couple of Malo sweaters on there. One of them was $800 retail, and the other was $1125 retail, and I think I paid $195 and $260 for them.

They're really attractive sweaters and feel amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads