• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Male capsule wardrobe

Omega

Reaction score
There is quite a lot of information about capsule wardrobe for women, even a programme "Gok's Fashion Fix" on TV, but I did not find much info for men - http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-create...-wardrobe.html http://www.omiru.com/index.php/2009/...sule-wardrobe/
Since I try to have very few items (less things you own - less things to need to look after, i.e. more free time and money to do other things), but want to look stylish, I am very keen to get advice how to organise my wardrobe that I looked best with only a few things. I would like to seek your opinion on how many and what items you should have in your capsule wardrobe if you are a working professional. This means clothing for work (normal and dress-down days, plus meetings, conferences and interviews), night-out and weekend clothing in a city.
Thanks,

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is working professional? What do you do when out at night or spending week-ends in a (whcih?) city?
Personally, I tend to favour sport coats over suits. But that is because in my profession, sport coat (with tie)= is OK for business. And goes well with the trousers I use when having a night out (sans tie).

vincerich

Reaction score
WTF's a capsule wardrobe?

Your best options would be loading up on pants and shirts. Botton wool and cotton pants would give you option for professional and casual outfits. A variety of solid and patterned shirts would also maximize your options. A few sweaters and a navy blue suit would give you a very basic rotation.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realistically (and average-joe-y) calculated: Capsule collection=navy suit, grey suit, any sport coat, three pairs of trousers, a jeans, a chino, four pairs of shoes, a dozen shirts, four solid ties. The rest is up to personal needs.

minervau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
Realistically (and average-joe-y) calculated: Capsule collection=navy suit, grey suit, any sport coat, three pairs of trousers, a jeans, a chino, four pairs of shoes, a dozen shirts, four solid ties. The rest is up to personal needs.

Very solid suggestions, I'd maybe amend to three pairs of shoes (black cap-toe, brown, and a basketball or running shoe for athletic wear), 6-8 shirts. Get stuff that's machine-washable and non-iron if possible. You could also probably make due with just two ties: blue/navy repp stripe, red repp stripe.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
When it's time to leave the capsule (if I dare), then all the papers will want to know whose shirts I wear. What should I tell them?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's