• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Making Trousers (pictorial)

inlandisland

Reaction score
This sequence of photos shows a few of the stages that go into making a pair of trousers from the original pattern and fabric, to the pockets and fly, to the waistband and the finished product. These pants were for EFV, and the final ‘fit pic’ is his WAYWRN photo (Hope he doesn't mind).

Here is the corduroy fabric that I chose:

And the pattern I made based on the measurements that EFV sent:

Here are some close-ups of the front pockets and fly during construction:

This is what a welt pocket looks like before construction. The welts are sewn on to the right side of the fabric, then a hole is cut and the welts are turned through and pressed to create the desired look. Towards the bottom of the picture you can see the piece of fabric that becomes the actual pocket - for these pants I made a single welted rear pocket to reduce the bulk as the fabric was a bit thicker:

I used a button/tab closure. Here you can see what the tab closure looks like from the inside of the waistband before it is set and the waistband is turned right-side out:

Here is a picture of what the closure looks like when it is finished:

Here is a picture that shows some details including the rear and side pockets and the waistband:

Here is a semi-closeup of the handmade buttonhole - I'm slowly improving at them:

The finished pants:

And finally, the most important thing, the fit:

In exchange for the pants I got

Follow http://droppedthread.tumblr.com/ for more of similar.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:slayer:

inlandisland

Reaction score
I think the deal was fair, but thanks. And thanks for the link... I cut and paste from the wrong screen :embar:.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Made any S/S pants for yourself? Still loving the hell out of those pants.

inlandisland

Reaction score
Funny you should ask - I was just out buying fabric yesterday. I think I'm going to do a light blue cotton twill next. :) I'll take pictures.

inlandisland

Reaction score

Cut and threadmarked so far...

inlandisland

Reaction score
Well, it took me forever to get around to finishing this pair, and then it took me forever to get around to taking some pictures, but the're done. I didn't take any more pictures during the making of these pants, so all I can show you is how they turned out.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.