• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making pocket squares out of old ties and/or shirts?

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shirts - I can't see why you couldn't. There have been threads on people making squares out of new cotton. As to ties I wouldn't have thought they'd have enough material.

MLIW

Reaction score
I cant see why not by more to the point why would you do it?? Surely a lot easier to buy a quality design pocket square?

Vecsus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MLIW
I cant see why not by more to the point why would you do it?? Surely a lot easier to buy a quality design pocket square?

Maybe he already has a shirt or tie with a pattern he likes. I think it's great that someone wants to re-utilize an item rather than just run out and buy something new. Easier does not always mean better.

OP: if you make a conversion please post up your results. I have never worn a PS but I have a few lower-end ties I no longer wear that might make interesting squares.

rs232

Reaction score
I frequently do this. I like my squares on the small side, and thrift a fair few ties on Ebay. About 20% of the time, the ties turn out disappointing for one reason or another, but the fabric is still promising, so I get the shears out, and turn the tie into a PS. I'll also keep the better linings to make into new ties with some of my other offcuts.

Ditto for shirts.

countcount

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rs232
so I get the shears out, and turn the tie into a PS

After you have cut the silk what do you do to the edges to keep the fabric from unraveling? I have tried to cut silk, but the edges start to fray. In response, I have hand rolled and sewn but it looks worse then frayed edges.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a shirt that is beyond salvaging (it has a stain that won't come out, or a big tear on it) then go for it.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is it possible to make pocket squares out of old ties and/or shirts? Would tie silk generally be too thick and/or brittle (if thin) to make a good pocket square? Surely, a worn, frayed shirt in a nice shirting (especially if bespoke or high end RTW) would be able to be converted into a few pocket squares, no? Has anyone done this?
confused.gif

Merkur, Shirts would work well. Ties would make very, very small pocket squares although the thicker tie silk will help and a 6-fold tie will have more silk. The type is silk is not a problem and can be very nice. You might find this thread helpful: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ober+challenge Remember while there are special ways to make a beautiful pocket square the real secret is to go very slowly... It takes us typically 1.5 to 2 hours to make a perfect 15" silk pocket square. The pocket squares that you usually see in department stores often have beautiful fabric and low end stitching that takes only a few minutes to make. Good luck and don't forget to post photos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics