Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Making pocket squares out of old ties and/or shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by merkur, Apr 2, 2009.

1. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

2. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

For shirts - I can't see why you couldn't. There have been threads on people making squares out of new cotton. As to ties I wouldn't have thought they'd have enough material.

3. MLIW

MLIW Senior member

I cant see why not by more to the point why would you do it?? Surely a lot easier to buy a quality design pocket square?

4. Vecsus

Vecsus Active Member

I cant see why not by more to the point why would you do it?? Surely a lot easier to buy a quality design pocket square?

Maybe he already has a shirt or tie with a pattern he likes. I think it's great that someone wants to re-utilize an item rather than just run out and buy something new. Easier does not always mean better.

OP: if you make a conversion please post up your results. I have never worn a PS but I have a few lower-end ties I no longer wear that might make interesting squares.

5. rs232

rs232 Senior member

I frequently do this. I like my squares on the small side, and thrift a fair few ties on Ebay. About 20% of the time, the ties turn out disappointing for one reason or another, but the fabric is still promising, so I get the shears out, and turn the tie into a PS. I'll also keep the better linings to make into new ties with some of my other offcuts.

Ditto for shirts.

6. countcount

countcount Senior member

so I get the shears out, and turn the tie into a PS

After you have cut the silk what do you do to the edges to keep the fabric from unraveling? I have tried to cut silk, but the edges start to fray. In response, I have hand rolled and sewn but it looks worse then frayed edges.

7. anon

anon Senior member

I made a PS out of my old shirt. I haven't taken pictures of it yet, but there's a thread about it.

My rolled edges are nowhere near as good as others, and not even in the ballpark of a store-bought PS.

8. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

If you have a shirt that is beyond salvaging (it has a stain that won't come out, or a big tear on it) then go for it.

9. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is it possible to make pocket squares out of old ties and/or shirts? Would tie silk generally be too thick and/or brittle (if thin) to make a good pocket square? Surely, a worn, frayed shirt in a nice shirting (especially if bespoke or high end RTW) would be able to be converted into a few pocket squares, no? Has anyone done this? [​IMG]
    Merkur, Shirts would work well. Ties would make very, very small pocket squares although the thicker tie silk will help and a 6-fold tie will have more silk. The type is silk is not a problem and can be very nice. You might find this thread helpful: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ober+challenge Remember while there are special ways to make a beautiful pocket square the real secret is to go very slowly... It takes us typically 1.5 to 2 hours to make a perfect 15" silk pocket square. The pocket squares that you usually see in department stores often have beautiful fabric and low end stitching that takes only a few minutes to make. Good luck and don't forget to post photos.