• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making and publishing a website - How to??

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am looking to make a website. However, I dont know anything about how to do it.

Apple.com has a few tutorials which I watched since I have an iMac and thought using MobileMe ($99 a year subscription) and iWeb seems like a really easy option for a beginner.

I think that using iWeb doesnt require any previous experience with html, of which my knowledge consists of just knowing its name!!

Anyone have experience in this area??

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get an account on blogspot.com. You can choose from hundreds of different templates to customize the look and functionality of your website. This is much, much easier than creating a site from scratch. iWeb is the same concept.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Just get an account on blogspot.com. You can choose from hundreds of different templates to customize the look and functionality of your website. This is much, much easier than creating a site from scratch. iWeb is the same concept.

thanks, I am also interested in integrating eCommerce into the site... I've got a lot to learn

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davesmith
thanks, I am also interested in integrating eCommerce into the site... I've got a lot to learn
Welcome to Hell and my world. How much you need to know depends on what you sell and how many products you'll have online. I'll put it to real simple, the more you do the more you get to maintain later. By that I mean you add 500 products you get to change the prices, delete discontinued items, add new stuff, run promotions and on and on. The software I use is completely customizable and it also calculates shipping in real time and has a payment gateway to handle CCs. I routinely cut code in HTML, PHP and Java for whatever it is we want to do. Yeah you have a whole lot to learn. There's nothing simple about running an eCom site that actually works.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1,000,000 its really tedious esp. in the beginning

drz

Reaction score
Prestashop, ZenCart and OSCommerce are pretty easy to use eCommerce software, even for non web geek. You just have to install them on your web hosting and follow their manual on adding items, setting prices, etc.

Some hosting company already have those software ready to be installed in their cpanel. You might want to take a look at that.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
I'd reccommend wordpress over blogspot for what you are trying to do. More customization allowed.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah Wordpress is the best setup. And it's pretty easy to add in PayPal payments and stuff.

If you have the cash, just hire a college kid to do it. Much easier and in the long run probably cheaper in terms of the time you save.

Wolfador

Reaction score
iWeb makes it really easy as you can use add-ins to add in others code for your marketplace and such.

gauche.story

Reaction score
Go on CL (or another job search site) and hire someone that knows how to do it. The investment up front will go very very far in the end.

There are lots of developers that are out of work right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads