• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a third suit in Hong Kong

dbc

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
2010 has been an eventful year clothing wise. I picked up my first two bespoke suits (indeed my first two suits); one a relatively heavyweight charcoal grey SB from Singapore which I'm ambivalent about, and the other a wool-cashmere midweight navy SB from Peter Lee which I'm delighted with.

I'll be headed to HK again in April and will be making a third one. I'm leaning towards Lee again, but yfyf has influenced me to try WW Chan.

I'm looking for a non-lined navy linen two piece. It'd be for use when traveling and to smarten up a pair of jeans in as comfortable a fashion for the Singapore climate b

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will not go wrong with WW Chan. I'm not a fan of linen suits i'd go with a lightweight wool suit instead.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between Chan and Peter Lee, you're in good hands. If you do Chan I highly recommend getting measured ahead on their tour if possible. That way the suit can be ready with the basted fitting when you arrive.

One word of caution: a linen suit would be great, but not ideal for travel since it wrinkles so easily. I'd suggest a Fresco suit from Minnis or Holland & Sherry (Crispaire). Chan carries both and Peter can get them for you if need be. They're very tough suits and work well in warmer weather unlined. I've brought my Fresco suits on many trips and they hold up incredibly well.

dbc

Reaction score
I'm in Singapore mate, no tours.

That said, it is only a 3.5 hour flight away.

By the way, any idea in how much a fresco two piece will cost (in USD) at Chan?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbc
I'm in Singapore mate, no tours.

That said, it is only a 3.5 hour flight away.

By the way, any idea in how much a fresco two piece will cost (in USD) at Chan?

Hmmm...yeah I guess they don't do SIN. I believe a Fresco suit would be around $1200 depending on the fabric. The H&S probably a bit more.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I may be crazy but I think a linen suit is best for traveling. Sure, it wrinkles, but it's linen so everybody knows it's supposed to wrinkle. But then I don't attend business meetings, just social events.

I wonder what Chan's pricing is for linen versus fresco.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I may be crazy but I think a linen suit is best for traveling. Sure, it wrinkles, but it's linen so everybody knows it's supposed to wrinkle. But then I don't attend business meetings, just social events.

I wonder what Chan's pricing is for linen versus fresco.

Good caveat. I guess I just mostly wear suits for business so tough to dis-associate the two.

I think Chan's pricing for each would be pretty similar.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it is similar, and I would guess you're right, and if you want to save some money perhaps it would be better to get the linen jacket from a cheaper place. It seems to me an unlined linen suit could be had decently by lesser-skilled tailors, more so than a lined wool would.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick Chu of Chan is rather high on Harrison's Frontier as a fabric for lightweight summer suits. It is comparatively heavy (11 ounces) for good drape and durability but open-weave for coolness. I have two suits Chan has made for me from this fabric. I think they're good for temperatures into the low 80s but after that can get kind of hot. I am not sure any suit can be comfortable in hellishly hot weather, however.

IronRock

Reaction score
I live Singapore/HK area and just had this done by Chan - W.Bill 10oz unlined Linen. Perfect for Spring/Autumn in HK, evening wear for Sinapore, too hot to wear during the day:

5257951728_f30938a1b7_z.jpg

Chans are great - would def consider them.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That doesn't even look like linen, which I can't decide is desirable or not. Does it wrinkle as easily?

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have nothing against Chan.
But if you do a linen suit, I think Peter is good enough.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
That doesn't even look like linen, which I can't decide is desirable or not. Does it wrinkle as easily?

It's linen.
It wrinkles in the best posible way.
It is just freaking comfortable.
Personally I don't think you'll find a better linen anywhere.

joonian

Reaction score
dbc,

Where did you get your suit made up in Singapore? And why are you ambivalent about it?

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
You can get a navy Harrison's Mersolair from Chan, its a Linen/Mohair mix.

I have one from Chan in Oatmeal and its great

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads