1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Making A Light Purple Room Masculine

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Spencer Young, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

I've just moved to a new apartment in Chicago. The place is spectacular and fits our lifestyles perfectly (3 young professional college grads) except that my bedroom is fairly small and has light purple walls and ceiling. Painting is an option, but I am interested in finding out whether it's possible to make the color masculine and workable for a single, straight 23 year old male. Aesthetically I go for very minimal, modern, clean looks. The current plan is to get several canvasses and use a gelling agent with black/dark brown paint to make some interesting textural decor; I am thinking if I add a streak of ochre or a warm yellow, it will acknowledge the purple and pull it all together.

For reference, the color is, with a bit of irony, the same as the lightest part of [​IMG]

Thoughts? Other ideas for how to work with the room as is?

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

The current plan is to get several canvasses and use a gelling agent with black/dark brown paint to make some interesting textural decor; I am thinking if I add a streak of ochre or a warm yellow, it will acknowledge the purple and pull it all together.

Sounds like a lot to have going on in a small room, it'll shrink the feel considerably.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

This would be like trying to make Ed masculine. Sure you can try and divert attention from the light purple walls, but at the end of the day, they're still purple. In the same vein, Ed can huff and puff trying to divert attention from the obvious truth, but at the end of the day he's still a bigger fairy than all the gay men on this board combined. Your only option is to paint. Ed got married.

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Might be a no go, but get the furniture in there. I have dark wood floors and furniture and I use dark purple, sometimes fuschia to accent, but not on the walls. I did at one point have my office walls painted dark purple, and liked it. Anna Suis shop in SOHO is / was lavender with gloss black trim, but this is a kind of funky Victorian vibe.

Who knows your walls may wind up looking rather mod.
    I say try it, maybe adjust the kind of purple and the amount that could be visible. The tone of the furniture and floor may dictate alot on how the purple is percieved.

maybe some pictures

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

This would be like trying to make Ed masculine. Sure you can try and divert attention from the light purple walls, but at the end of the day, they're still purple. In the same vein, Ed can huff and puff trying to divert attention from the obvious truth, but at the end of the day he's still a bigger fairy than all the gay men on this board combined. Your only option is to paint. Ed got married.

Hmm, the words "purple", "vein" and my name in one of your posts. I wonder what is on your mind.....

Spencer, do yourself a favoir and save yourself a lot of time, prime the walls and then do whatever you want colorwise. Purple is a hard color to combine with, harder even to give it a "masculine" look.

6. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Hmm, the words "purple", "vein" and my name in one of your posts. I wonder what is on your mind.....

[​IMG]

7. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Time for a paint job.

8. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

I think the best way to make a light purple room masculine is to start a post on a style message board asking whether or not it is a good idea to "acknowledge the purple" with ochre. Nothing says hypermasculinity like complementary colours.

9. thepataphysician

thepataphysician Senior member

Anna Suis shop in SOHO is / was lavender with gloss black trim, but this is a kind of funky Victorian vibe.

I would second designprofessor. adding a taxidermy head, antique gun, or some old safari photographs could add a masculine edge

10. thepataphysician

thepataphysician Senior member

the canvasses with ochre with the purple walls sounds like a bad hotel lobby to me

11. Matt

Matt Senior member

paint it. Two cans of paint will cost you less money, take you less time, and bring a better result than trying to unpussy violet.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

+1, however, lots of guns, power tools, and dead animals could probably help it a bit. Paint is much cheaper though.

13. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Bathe the walls in the blood of your enemies.

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

That's a sweet idea Reggs. Maybe include all the weapons used to slaughter them too, coated in the blood of the enemy's heart. Hmm.

JB

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'd go with a painting like the one behind White Goodman in this picture:

[​IMG]

16. tom288

tom288 Senior member

A nice animal trophy should do the trick, preferably with gunshot wound visible...

17. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

Hah thanks for all the advice. We've actually found a hopeful way out - our landlord had hired a handyman to paint up some scuffs around the apartment, but my room has several that were not painted (and I did not create). We're going to see if he wants to have someone touch it up, and in doing so, just paint the entire thing. I'd be up for painting it myself, but it would be a huge hassle - I travel M-Th/F, so weekends are hectic enough as is.

18. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Making a purple room masculine is the same as trying to make GQgeek like women...a vain endeavor.

19. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

HAHAHAHA

So check this out. Who are you afraid will think you're a fairy if you have purple walls?

Probably women.

When will women be in your room?

When you're going to fuck them.

Will a woman think you're gay after you bang her brains out?

Hopefully not.

Are purple walls a big issue then?

Unless you don't like the color purple, not really. I say leave them, and if a girl asks tell her your great grandfather invented the color or something.

20. Jazz

Jazz Well-Known Member

Bathe the walls in the blood of your enemies.
    +1

Sounds like a lot to have going on in a small room, it'll shrink the feel considerably.
    +1