• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making $100k/year: would you rather be working in Manhattan or Nashville, TN?

tthornell

Reaction score
I'd choose NYC without a doubt. Nashville has some advantages for sure. Most of them have been mentioned, but another condideration is that it would be very easy to stand out, starorially speaking, from you peers. If your clothes are more tailored than a large Polo and pair of Dockers you would usually be the best dressed man in the room.

NYC is the culture capital of the US. You want to catch an indie flick, checkout a reading of a great new book ,or just meet interesting people? Then you can't beat NY with a stick, even if it does cost more.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that we are about 50 votes away from establishing with probable statistical significance that Styleforum members just about equally prefer Nashville and Manhattan if they have a 100k per year salary and no other options.

I'm amazed.

DBoon

Reaction score
Sample size does not an error free probability distribution make!!!

Consider the possibility that potential pro-Manhattan or pro-Nashville people may disproportionately frequent General Chat.

But ya, it's the whole "Conservative Liberal" / "Liberal Conservative" thing imo

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
Sample size does not an error free probability distribution make!!!

Consider the possibility that potential pro-Manhattan or pro-Nashville people may disproportionately frequent General Chat.

But ya, it's the whole "Conservative Liberal" / "Liberal Conservative" thing imo

Well, I think you missed the joke. I guess I'm not very funny. I'll go back to dumb threads now.

eclipse75

Reaction score
if youre more for outdoors, nashville. city, nyc. nyc can't compare when it comes to the outdoors. top notch fishing, four wheeler trails, deer hunting, forests everywhere. sure it may get a bit warm, but you also don't have as cold a winter. so yeah, thats my 2 cents.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tthornell
it would be very easy to stand out, starorially speaking, from you peers. If your clothes are more tailored than a large Polo and pair of Dockers you would usually be the best dressed man in the room.

I live in Atlanta and this is true here as well. Many times people have called me "well-dressed/stylish" when all I was wearing is a tailored shirt and non-baggy jeans. In fact, I have been called "well-dressed" even when I wear a fitted polo t-shirt.

I used to be surprised at first, but then I thought: this is Atlanta.

It doesn't take much...
bigstar[1].gif

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I would ask the same questions about NYC that you ask about Nashville. There's more to life than nightlife.

(I could even tolerate the music scene in Nashville, though I don't enjoy either kind of music, COUNTRY or WESTERN.)

I conclude from your comment that you are way too young to make judgments on this topic, as you assumed that by "Life" I meant nightclubs ...
confused.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
I conclude from your comment that you are way too young to make judgments on this topic, as you assumed that by "Life" I meant nightclubs ...
confused.gif

I think your conclusion about my age is wrong, though perhaps you really meant to write that I'm not wise enough to make judgments on the topic(?). I specifically wrote "nightlife", to encompass more than nightclubs. I meant theater, opera, restaurants, museums, etc. (nightlife writ large, to encompass all the social life that people cite when discussing the merits of a place like NYC. I realize you perhaps enjoy other aspects of NYC and my assumption here is wrong). Though I've never lived in NYC, I have visited, I've lived in four different large cities, and I prefer my current university town of 100,000 (plus 25-30,000 students). Of course, I travel professionally 6-10 times a year, so I get to sample the big cities, but enjoy living in a place named by Money magazine one of the top 10 small cities in the US. It seems we simply have different tastes. To each his own.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by downright
How is Nashville for the gays?

Surely there must be gays in Nashville with all of its music industry. Who do you think acts as the stylists for these acts promoted by the various record labels? I'm just sayin'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads