• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making $100k/year: would you rather be working in Manhattan or Nashville, TN?

supafly

Reaction score
NYC I would die if someone made me live away from the water.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A.K.A.
Nashville has it hands down over Manhattan for someone earning $100K a year.

1. TN - no state income tax
2. TN - very likely you can find great housing on your salary and live close to work
3. TN - beautiful women, two universities, great hospitals, fresh air, live music scene (all genres)
4. TN - you can own a car here, and it won't cost $600 a month to store it in a garage
4. TN - advantageous tax structure, again. NY/NJ will crush you on every tax
5. TN - easy access to airport means you can fly to NYC whenever you want

I travel to both places with enough frequency so I am familiar with both culture aspects of either city, at no age would I choose NYC and the surrounding area. Really, today what you can't find locally in goods can easily be delivered by UPS or FedEx. People are the same everywhere. Nashville is a very cosmopolitan southern city. NYC has tall buildings, teaming masses, ridiculous traffic, and high taxes; I can see what is so appealing about that.

TN colleges give you in-state tuition even if you've only been in the state a few hours.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Some of the things people who've never been there think about Nashville make me laugh. In Nashville, you're 4 hours away from the smokies. 60k isn't anything to shout about in Nashville, and at 100k you definitely have the money to live pretty well, but not to the degree that some people in this thread seem to believe. Furthermore, saying that the music scene in Nashville is all country or whatever is ridiculous. Nashville is big in the music industry, for all kinds of music.

Also, seconding what someone said about Tennessee being south but not really south. Its not really like the deep south, ie GA, AL, MI, LA. I like Nashville, its a great place. And yes, the Parthenon is way cool.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time in NYC. Would not want to live there under any circumstances. So I chose Nashville. But, in reality, if I was forced to make that decision in real life, I'd choose NYC.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
Some of the things people who've never been there think about Nashville make me laugh. In Nashville, you're 4 hours away from the smokies. 60k isn't anything to shout about in Nashville, and at 100k you definitely have the money to live pretty well, but not to the degree that some people in this thread seem to believe. Furthermore, saying that the music scene in Nashville is all country or whatever is ridiculous. Nashville is big in the music industry, for all kinds of music.

Also, seconding what someone said about Tennessee being south but not really south. Its not really like the deep south, ie GA, AL, MI, LA. I like Nashville, its a great place. And yes, the Parthenon is way cool.

QFT. Compared to Alabama. Mississippi and Louisiana you could almost say that Nashville has an almost midwestern sensibility about it. And the music scene is very diverse. Many, including myself, consider Nashville the music capitol of the country. I live 6 blocks from one of the biggest and most talented music venues in Chicago and Nashville has never failed to impress. In the summer time anyway, you can hear great live rock music until 2 or 3AM any day of the week...Monday, Tuesday, etc. I can't say the same about Chicago.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Born, raised and lived in NY for a year after college before moving away and though there would be some downsides, I would have to go with Nashville. A $300K house in Nashville is a $1M house on Long Island and lord knows how much in midtown ($3M?). You can't buy a $1M house on a $100K paycheck.

AnticGod

Reaction score
Manhattan is the best.
biggrin.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information and comments. Nashville has had more support than I expected.

Going in for face to face interviews in both cities this week.

I'd love to live in Manhattan, but the kind of house you can buy in Nashville for ~300k is pretty amazing. Both are appealing, for totally different reasons.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk on Style Forum often seems to be very "big city" oriented (and obviously there is a lot of NYC discussion on here), and so I never would have expected the poll results to be a dead heat. Interesting.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nashville takes the lead!

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
That's disappointing, I voted for Manhattan, and we're still one vote back.

And someone said you can't live in Manhattan on 100k- crazy, of course you can.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cousin lives beside central park (I assume people from nyc know what this means because I don't) on a 100k salary and she gets tons of vacations because new yorker's are so baller. She works in Nashville on weekdays and has been doing so since she was in her 20s, she chose NYC because it was between home and Nashville and she told me Nashville is boring. Probably doesn't mesh with our culture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads