• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making $100k/year: would you rather be working in Manhattan or Nashville, TN?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Nashville has a 100% scale replica of the Greek Parthenon. Beat THAT, NYC.

parthenon.jpg

What the hell? Who's idea was that and what was the reasoning?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol wow! ^

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they were celebrating the 100 year anniversery of tennessee's entry to the union.

nashville is called "the athens of the south"

put two and two together. they were building cool structures and this seemed like a good idea.

i think it was.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i thought it was to house the tennessee titans.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
I have lived in NY. I have also lived in GA and AL. I would sooner kill myself than move back to the south.

I am in sofl now, which isn't the south, and I am glad to be surrounded by nyers. Which isn't something that is said very often.

Yes, but most of the NYers down here have one foot in the grave. The only ok place to live in SoFLA is Miami which has some resemblance to a large city and all that brings with it (culture, nightlife, etc...), and even then, Miami can't compare to NYC.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
they were celebrating the 100 year anniversery of tennessee's entry to the union.

Was it built in 1966?

- B

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think the Parthenon was built as a temporary structure, but was later reinforced to become a permanent building because people loved it so much.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
These polls are useless. It should be $100k in NYC or $60k in Nashville.

I've had multiple friends get an offer from a company, and then get told that for equivalent work they will get equivalent pay, no matter which facility they choose, e.g. no cost of living differentials.

This is not a useless question.

Why would a company want to pay a HUGE differential to a person to live somewhere he doesn't want to live when they can find someone that does want to live there and is willing to take the base pay to do so?

Back on topic, even though I'd rather not live in Nashville, I'd take it over NYC. Lesser of two evils type of question.

coachvu

Reaction score
Nashville on 100K/year would be a blast. You could have a nice house or condo downtown or in a leafy neighborhood close to Vanderbilt. There are a lot of great restaurants, some upscale, others specializing in Southern food. There's a brand new, state-of-the-art symphony hall downtown. The Frist Museum and the Country Music Hall of Fame are both great museums. If you like music, it's hard to find a better music scene that is also affordable. Not only great bluegrass and country, but nearly all tours will stop in Nashville. I used to run into big name musicians all the time (saw Ludacris and Beyonce, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Travis Tritt). Vanderbilt has many concerts throughout the year (Jay-Z sometime this fall, big music festival in the spring) plus lots of authors and politicians. These events are usually pretty cheap and open to the public. The city also has several concert series in the summer that are cheap. Plus, there are NFL and NHL teams, and you can see lots of great SEC football, baseball, and basketball. There are several young, trendy areas that have cropped up in recent years, and there are lots of students and young professionals. Great bar scene with plenty of beautiful women out every night of the week.

There are some cons. It's very hot and humid in the summer, and there's not a lot of snow in the winter. There's no good skiing nearby, and there aren't any serious mountains for backpacking. Sales tax is very high (~8.5%, I believe), although there's no income tax. Contrary to what others said, traffic is pretty bad if you're commuting into the city, although there's a new commuter rail system. The bus system isn't that great.

I don't know your personal preferences, but Nashville is definitely a lot of fun for a young person. If you get bored there, it's because you're not trying. However, it won't overwhelm you like New York, and it doesn't have as many "world class" museums/landmarks/etc.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
I'd rather be in Los Angeles, CA.

Awesome weather all year
biggrin.gif

myke

I'd rather be dead.

whymakemedothis

Reaction score
barbecue, blues music, smoky mountains, and you get to see vince young play if jeff fisher stops being an idiot

vs living in a 500sq ft studio , 14 levels up, with a car (if you own one) parked in a garage 5 blocks away.

well the answer is neither but nashville is lesser of 2 evils

whymakemedothis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Wow, the responses here surprise me. I'd be in Nashville, no question, hands down. Music, hotties, far superior standard of living on $100K.

i also forgot this portion. southern belles > ugly liberal/empowered yankee girls with nasally voices

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Nashville has it hands down over Manhattan for someone earning $100K a year.

1. TN - no state income tax
2. TN - very likely you can find great housing on your salary and live close to work
3. TN - beautiful women, two universities, great hospitals, fresh air, live music scene (all genres)
4. TN - you can own a car here, and it won't cost $600 a month to store it in a garage
4. TN - advantageous tax structure, again. NY/NJ will crush you on every tax
5. TN - easy access to airport means you can fly to NYC whenever you want

I travel to both places with enough frequency so I am familiar with both culture aspects of either city, at no age would I choose NYC and the surrounding area. Really, today what you can't find locally in goods can easily be delivered by UPS or FedEx. People are the same everywhere. Nashville is a very cosmopolitan southern city. NYC has tall buildings, teaming masses, ridiculous traffic, and high taxes; I can see what is so appealing about that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads