• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making $100k/year: would you rather be working in Manhattan or Nashville, TN?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doubtless the thought of living on such a small-timer's salary is abhorrent (in fact nigh unthinkable) to 99.9% of you, and for that I apologize. However, if forced to scratch by on such a meager income, which location would be your preference? Specified "work" rather than "live" in the thread title to leave open the option of living elsewhere in NYC/NNJ while working in Manhattan.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Rather work in an actual city with some kind of importance and a place that would be fun to be in. Even if it meant having less money to spend after fixed bills compared to the other. NYC without a doubt.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to Nashville. It seemed like quite a pleasant place, and I'm a country music fan into the bargain. I have a feeling one can live a lot better on $100K in Nashville than in the greater New York area, and it's more gun-friendly. So definitely Nashville for me.

Besides, I could hang out with my buddy Cruiser!

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NYC. I know plenty of recent college grads that are having a blast at 50-60K. 100K would be even easier/more fun.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Am I 22 or 39? Married? Does she work? Kids? Have I hit my limit or am I still upwardly mobile?

The more towards older, with family, at my earning max = more towards Nashville

The more towards no kids, spouse that works, younger, still moving up = Manhattan

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Am I 22 or 39? Married? Does she work? Kids? Have I hit my limit or am I still upwardly mobile?

The more towards older, with family, at my earning max = more towards Nashville

The more towards no kids, spouse that works, younger, still moving up = Manhattan

All good questions. For the purposes of this thread you are late 20s/early 30s, no wife/kids, and still upwardly mobile.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
All good questions. For the purposes of this thread you are late 20s/early 30s, no wife/kids, and still upwardly mobile.

Manhattan for sure then.

dave

Reaction score
Having lived in the south for the majority of my life, I'd go with Nashville without a doubt.

Tennessee is beautiful and Nashville is FULL of things to do. couple that with the fact that 100K is a LOT of money in the world outside of NYC and you can really have a great time. with that kind of income you could travel to NYC a few times a year and never miss it. trust me.
smile.gif

tc6

Reaction score
NYC without a doubt. Even though it is more costly, at a young age living in a city like NYC is awesome.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$100k a year is tolerable in NYC. It's probably relative to $70k in DC which is what I'm living pretty large with now. If I had kids and such, then it would be different.

I know nothing about Nashville and I'm too young to not live in a major city, so I chose manhattan.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd rather live in NYC but I'm going to say Nashville. 100 large would go so far in TN that you could probably sock 1/2 that away and still live like a king. In NYC you'd probably end up spending much more money. Cheaper housing, cheaper food, cheaper entertainment, lower taxes, and cheaper booze. Plus, southern women cannot be overlooked in the equation.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nashville= a very annoying accent + hot as hell in the summer + tons of rednecks + women that look like dolly parton. For all that suffering, $100k isn't nearly enough

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads