• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Makeup. Not if. Not why. Just where and generally what.

Great Satchmo

Reaction score
I have oily skin and it causes breakouts once in a while and it'd be nice not to look like a teenager fighting acne.

I realize I know zilch about makeup and I also know that I only want something minimal to apply to problem areas like covering up a pimple or other skin annoyance. Not something I would plan on wearing every day.

Because I know nothing, I figured I should go to some makeup counter and just have someone there at least get the right tone and show me how to apply it.

However, I want to go in there armed with some knowledge of what I do and don't need. I don't want a bunch of products to use all the time, I just want to get something that will allow me to avoid looking like an angst ridden teen. So, what "things" will I need?

Also, where should I go for something like this?

mehhhh

Reaction score
Loaded question. See my post from last year that I brought back from the dead, halfway down the page.

It doesn't work so well on acne, I'm afraid, but you can give it a shot. Any nice department store with a makeup counter could probably hook you up with a consultation, if you have the guts to be the one guy sitting in a mall getting a makeover.

I would start with a simple cheap foundation from walmart or something. I use Neutrogena, it's remarkable effective for what you pay for it.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on dermatologist or even a general practitioner. Get yourself some antibiotics, pimples likely to be cleared within a couple of months.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read through scform.com

mehhhh

Reaction score
All good suggestions. Makeup should be a last ditch backup plan.

iampeter

Reaction score
im not sure on your skin tone, but if you want to try, tinted moisturizers. not really wearing makeup? :p

East2West

Reaction score
If you have oily, large pores then makeup is only going to exacerbate pimple outbreaks.
You need to treat those first. Go to the Clinique counter and ask the consultant which clarifying lotion would be best for your skin type and see if that helps. If not seek advice from a Dermatologist. If you have an outbreak already that you wish to hide, try to find a good concealer. I have a Shu Uemura concealer that I use for 'emergencies'. Fantastic stuff if you can find it.

East2West

Reaction score
Forgot to mention: Mac Studio Fix is good too

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East2West
Go to the Clinique counter and ask the consultant which clarifying lotion would be best for your skin type and see if that helps. If not seek advice from a Dermatologist.
I think you got it the wrong way around. The first person you approach should be the dermatologist/doctor, not who is effectively a salesperson at a cosmetics counter after your commission.

East2West

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I think you got it the wrong way around. The first person you approach should be the dermatologist/doctor, not who is effectively a salesperson at a cosmetics counter after your commission.

No I had it right. Step up therapy applies here. Why use a prescription strength med when an OTC will work and for much cheaper? Most insurance won't cover cosmetic visits and procedures.

iampeter

Reaction score
because prescription strength retnoids are good for clearing skin + fighting aging
smile.gif

East2West

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iampeter
because prescription strength retnoids are good for clearing skin + fighting aging
smile.gif

If this is directed towards my rhetorical question, I never said a prescription strength medication wouldn't help nor did I say never go to the doctor.
If you have a headache you dont run the a neurologist for narcotics...you try an OTC then go to the Dr if that doesn't help. That same logic, in my opinion, applies to acne cosmetological treatment.

iampeter

Reaction score
in my experience with acne, 2% salicylic acid or over the counter benzo peroxide does not work. i can't imagine it working for anyone because 2% salicylic is too low of a concentration and benzo peroxide(i can imagine works) but leaves skin horribly dry/scaling and a low percentage has allergic reaction. 100% for dermatologist when it comes to acne, because it causes facial scarring(with or without picking/popping) scars on face for anyone in this forum i would assume is a bad thing
smile.gif
oh and getting prescription medicine in this case, its just a better topical with better benefits then anything OTC so its bonus that it fights off acne in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads