• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maker of VINTAGE Brooks Brothers English Shell Cordovan Shoes?

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Does anyone who is the maker of VINTAGE Brooks Brothers English Shell Cordovan Shoes?

I just got 2 pairs (complete with nailed leather soles). They look EXACTLY like these 2 current models (down to the medallion):

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=BLACK&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

These models are now made by Alden. I KNOW that Peal makes the "Brooks English" shoes now, but did they ALWAYS make them?

To add to the mystery, the sizing is in European sizes. They are 44E.

I can post pics later if that'll help.

THANKS!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I KNOW that Peal makes the "Brooks English" shoes now, but did they ALWAYS make them?

'Peal' do not make anything; it is only a name used by Brooks, the (current) Peal shoes I think are made by C&J and/or AS? Peal & Co may have made their own shoes at some time in the past, but not any more.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'Peal' do not make anything; it is only a name used by Brooks, the (current) Peal shoes I think are made by C&J and/or AS? Peal & Co may have made their own shoes at some time in the past, but not any more.

My confusion comes from the fact the shoes look EXACTLY the same as the ones Alden makes now. Does Brooks Brothers own the "model specifications", then just outsource the manufacturing?

well-kept

Reaction score
The Brooks English marked with European sizing were made by Cheaney. And yes, I have seen some that resemble current Alden-made BB models, in shell. Quite uncommon but they did exist.

Last edited:

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Brooks English marked with European sizing were made by Cheaney. And yes, I have seen some that resemble current Alden-made BB models, in shell. Quite uncommon but they did exist.

Thanks for the info!

well-kept

Reaction score
By the way... in Nate's link, above, there is some discussion about the color of those old shells. That clear, transparent, warm red-brown is what #8 used to look like. It is not from sun-fading, which produces a very different effect. The color we call #8 today is a different thing from what it was twenty or thirty years ago. Even ten, in some cases. I have a pair of Aldens still in the box, purchased in the late 90s. Their color is not the dark purple, almost black of today's Alden #8. It has depth and warmth to it.

Last edited:

Swan Song

Reaction score
Does anybody know when Brooks Brothers used this logo for their Alden made Shell shoes?
It would help date mine.

This is my first Vintage Alden Shell #8 and this marbling of color is deep and very 3 dimensional, not at all like Alden's #8 now. Which is very monochromatic with no depth.

Swan Song

Reaction score
after

There must be a special place in H*ll for those who slather black polish over such gorgeous Shell #8 shoes.

bearcatjer

Reaction score
I happened upon this forum from a google search and hope someone can help me. I own a pair of both the tassel loafers and wing tip models of Brooks Brothers shell cordovan shoes which i purchased new somewhere in the 1980-85 period. I wore them until i retired 13 years ago and they have been sitting in my closet ever since. They are both in excellent condition.I am trying to determine who made these shoes for Brooks Brothers back in that period. My best recall was they were made by Church which i think was an english shoe maker. I have seen reference to Alden as a maker of this shoe for Brooks, but dont know if they were making them back when i bought mine.I cant make out the name on the inside of either pair of shoes.

I would appreciate any help on figuring out who made my shoes.

Thanks very much.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tassel loafers are very likely to be Alden. We'd need photos of the inside of the shoes (the part with sizing/model info) and the bottom of the heels (assuming they're original...guessing not).

bearcatjer

Reaction score
i tried to upload photos of the shoes but something didnt work . i will try again.

these photos probably wont help much. the shoes actually look much better in person than in photos and both pair still have the original soles and heels. i use to use rubber toe and heelplates to protect them.
in the loafers the numbers are 7H/6 021 3 and underneath those numbers ...772.
I am thinking about selling both pair as they dont fit me anymore and i see there seems to be a market for shell cordovan used shoes. I remember paying about $300 a pair for them when i bought them so maybe that helps to date them on age.
Again, thanks for any help you can provide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads