• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maker of this Paul Stuart Shoe

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This shoe is currently on sale at Paul Stuart. Does anyone know who makes it or can at least comment on the quality?

cigarMan

Reaction score
Looks like Grenson or Crockett & Jones to me. Their past few seasons were Grenson.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Grenson or Crockett & Jones to me. Their past few seasons were Grenson.
If they are Grenson, are they built well? The sale price is tempting if they are comparable to a shoe at the non-sale price.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a fine shoe at the price. It's a killer bargain? No. Could you resell it on eBay for more? No. But it is a good deal.
The quality is similar to any other shoe that retails for $600.
I don't want to ebay it, but I am looking at a suede shoe. If it was a bad deal, I might consider a cheaper model from another maker.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks awfully lot like C&J but we need to see the inside markings.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're C&J benchgrades. Grenson doesn't do soles like that - at the $600 price, the Masterpieces usually have the channeled sole and the scripted "Made in England", similar to Edward Green.

+1 on rebels comments. Although if you can wait, you might get a better deal if you wait to grab a pair of suede C&J Peals from BB the day after X-Mas. Usually $500 with 40% off. And I think you get another 15% off if you buy before noon.

If you're still in the area, walk down the street to Brooks and do a price check. I think on 12/26 you can get peals for less than $300.

Last edited:

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think they're C&J benchgrades. Grenson doesn't do soles like that - at the $600 price, the Masterpieces usually have the channeled sole and the scripted "Made in England", similar to Edward Green.
+1 on rebels comments. Although if you can wait, you might get a better deal if you wait to grab a pair of suede C&J Peals from BB the day after X-Mas. Usually $500 with 40% off. And I think you get another 15% off if you buy before noon.
If you're still in the area, walk down the street to Brooks and do a price check. I think on 12/26 you can get peals for less than $300.

This is partially correct. Grenson does do open channel shoes for Paul Stuart. I know their double soles are not closed. I don't know if they have other models that are open. I think the shoes above are C&J, but I'm not sure without the internal writing.

I think that most C&J for BB are on blobby lasts, so I usually avoid them. Except for a few select models, I've never been drawn to any C&J for Brooks Brothers shoes.

To the OP's question: Regardless of whether they are Grenson or C&J, they are a fair price. Not great, but it will take some work and waiting to get a equivalent shoe for considerably less money. Also, the real question is how much you like the model and the fit of the shoe. If either of these two is missing, it doesn't matter what the price tag says.

Last edited:

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rebel, thank you for clarifying.

I'm pretty sure the Brooks flagship has more options than that thing you posted with the strange sole. I believe a suede captoe and suede wingtip are standard offerings - they're always there in the shop, they just might not have them on the website. They might be Alfred Sargent and not C&J though.

Poshak Man

Reaction score

This shoe is currently on sale at Paul Stuart. Does anyone know who makes it or can at least comment on the quality?
This is the Edgeware model by C&J. The price sticker also has a hint on the model name; 'EDGE'.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Paul Stuart Grenson Masterpices were closed channelled FWIW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics