1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Maker of Gieves & Hawkes Brogues?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by designprofessor, Jul 14, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

I rather like this style. Anybody know who makes their shoes? O r any information as to fit / quality?

Appreciated
    dprof

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Distinguished Member

looks italian.

do you have any more information about them, such as their provenance, or manufacturing codes written on the inside?

3. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

Although they could be, I really doubt they're Italian. Most likely Crockett & Jones--made for Gieves & Hawkes. They're really very nice looking shoes (from what little I can see of them), and I quite like the last shape and the Adelaide-pattern broguing around the facings. They have a nice taper from the ball of the foot to the toe and a slightly chiseled toe--really very nice indeed--and appear to be well-made, judging from what little is visible in the picture. If I were in a really speculative mood, I'd guess regular (benchgrade)-quality shoes on the new C&J 348 last, although they could be Handgrade-level shoes on the 337 last. What's the price? That would probably tell the tale.

4. jmatt

jmatt Senior Member

I like that shoe. It's about $350 U.S. The website says they are U.K., bench made shoes, and take 12 weeks to make. My money is on C&J Bench grade. (But it's just a guess).

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

The shoes sold at the Gieves & Hawkes in Yokohama (a concession in a dept. store) are made by Church's. I'm not sure this would necessarily be indicative of the shoes they sell in the States.

6. chapunso

chapunso Well-Known Member

I was at gieves and hawkes last summer, during a rather disapointing trip to london. I spent one hour at G&H trying on a blazer. At the first, I recognized the cut and the fitting, as well as the buttons. After getting aquaintance with the sales guy he told me that their blazers ARE MADE IN ITALY BY BELVEST. I was shocked. i own a belvest blazer (the same I tried on), with a miami prize tag of 800 US$. the belves blazer at G&H was 1300 pounds, 2600US$, 3.5 times miami price. PURE BULLSHIT. I am not the same since then. Probably the shoes are made in Italy too

7. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

Blevest make for a variety of labels, including Hermes, where the prices challenge G&H.

1300 pounds is rather dear for a RTW blazer considering that would is close to or enough for a bespoke blazer from one of the lower-priced SR/off-SR tailors.