• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make Your Own Clothing & Accessories - post pics

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new DIY thread for a couple of reasons: 1. The New DIY Thread is a pain ********** to find because of so many three-letter words in the title, and 2. it got totally hijacked by the guy with the 48-inch waist who wanted us to provide him with measurements for his custom jeans (WTF!).

So, I know from the other thread that a few of you make or at least alter your own clothes, and a few of you make wallets and belts. Hollowsleather makes some beautiful stuff. I'm more and more interested in making my own clothing and accessories, or at least trying just for the hell of it. I'd be interested in seeing pics of what you all have done.

My latest attempts include:

Felting an old lambswool sweater, cutting it into strips, and sewing the strips end-to-end to make a scarf. It turned out pretty well, although I don't have a pic at the moment.

I bought myself a few leatherwork supplies and tools for Christmas to make a small wallet/card case. I wanted something to hold 4-5 cards (all I ever carry in a wallet) that was thin, simple, and without snaps, etc. The design I decided on was partly inspired by a Billykirk card case. So, I had a couple hours to kill last night and here's what I came up with. I'm trying to decide if/how I want to finish it. The edges are nothing to write home about, since I don't have an edging tool at the moment.

Shut:
3176685717_7d31da0f6f_o.jpg

Open:
3177520502_60891d1414_o.jpg

Back:
3177520540_9e4510d5c1_o.jpg

hollowsleather

Reaction score
Great thread and great card case! Reply coming to your PM in just a minute.

jqbomb

Reaction score
Nice job on the card case. I think it looks great.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That card case is pretty sweet. Are you considering coloring the leather?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm going to at least wax the card case. I'd like to dye it brown, as long as the tan waxed thread will accept the dye.

So what else have people made themselves?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made jorts.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Waxed thread will not accept dye. I like the card case.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice card case. I wish I could make nice stuff like that. The only thing I have ever made was some cut off shorts
smile.gif

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I made jorts.
Well, what are you waiting for, man?? Post up a pic!
Originally Posted by skunkworks
Waxed thread will not accept dye. I like the card case.
I figured as much on the thread. I think I'll just oil/wax this one and start with dyeing on something else. Thanks.
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Nice card case. I wish I could make nice stuff like that. The only thing I have ever made was some cut off shorts
smile.gif

No harm in trying! If you mess up, you're out about $3 in leather.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
I figured as much on the thread. I think I'll just oil/wax this one and start with dyeing on something else. Thanks.

If you really want to dye your own thread, buy unwaxed 3-cord or 5-cord irish linen online, dye it, then wax it up with beeswax yourself. I haven't tried it, but I've contemplated it.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
Well, what are you waiting for, man?? Post up a pic!

They have like a 7" inseam. If I can get a camera I'll post the pic.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zissou, did you pick up your leatherworking supplies online or locally?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
If you really want to dye your own thread, buy unwaxed 3-cord or 5-cord irish linen online, dye it, then wax it up with beeswax yourself. I haven't tried it, but I've contemplated it.
Good idea. Then if I'm using the same dye, it should match the leather. I am going to work on a belt next, so I'll probably have some stitching in it.
Originally Posted by milosz
zissou, did you pick up your leatherworking supplies online or locally?
I bought everything, including tools, for that card case at the local Hobby Lobby. I had to buy everything for my upcoming belt (belt blank, buckle, deglazer, dye) on Ebay, though. Oh, and a rotary cutter, self-healing mat, and ruler were very useful.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The card case is great!

I took the epaulets off of a coat once.

hollowsleather

Reaction score
I'd really like to see this thread live, so even though some people may have seen this photo already, here's a few things that I use on a daily basis:
2922754074_47f8c9ee6b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads