1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Make me a Tuxedo!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VKK3450, Aug 29, 2006.

1. dusty

dusty Senior member

Why? When you are in formal wear you then have no need to know what time it is? How will you know when to go there? How will you know when to leave?

Exactly the point, the gentleman is not supposed to be preoccupied with the time at such events. I'm sure nobody would be offended these days though. Maybe the Queen.

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

Why? When you are in formal wear you then have no need to know what time it is? How will you know when to go there? How will you know when to leave?
    Because Manton says so.

It implies that you may have somewhere else to be and would therefore be checking the time so you can depart from the evening's entertainment. Not necessarily saying I buy into that, but that was the traditional rule.

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

I have a local tailor in Mong Kok
    Who was that? Got pics?

4. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

9.5 ounce or less woolens. the only way to go. any affair you attend will be far too warm for comfort,summer or winter. its the ladies who dictate this with there bare shoulder gowns. think: you have dinner, a few drinks, your in a warm room, and dancing. tropical worsted is the way to be comfortable.
    I've seen mohair a pretty common choice for dinner suits, probably for that very reason.

5. DGP

DGP Senior member

Come to think of it. Considering the risk of damage over the next year, what am I doing even buying? Should I swallow my sartorial pride and just rent the freaking thing??

Uhhh oh, now the doubt sets in

K

I am a recent grad, and senior year of college, I wanted a new tux for our class formal (though I knew it would be a night of getting sloshed with my drinking buddies in tuxes instead of jeans). I actually just went to Jos A. Banks, where they were having some kind of special (or mistake) and got a tux for $147, plus another $80 for tailoring. Great compromise, if you ask me.

6. TyskJohan

TyskJohan Well-Known Member

My tux was bought before I know about any of the MTM options, so of the shelf at a speciality shop at uni in Sweden. I went for a somewhat more expensive woolen one, and in spite of all the mischief it's been through, it still looks very good except that I have grown a bit and there are some pinholes on around the left chest pocket...

7. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Who was that? Got pics?

Some guy that was recommended by a friend of the family. I just call him Yip, Works out of a small dingy room in an office building. No English, only Cantonese.

I dont have pics readily available. Can check to see if my Mom's camera is around. I dont have the download cable for mine. Will try to post pics, but...

Like I said before, decent, but not great. I wouldnt go with him if I didnt speak Cantonese or have someone who does and is willing to put in the effort. I had a hell of a time explaining what I wanted with my Mom translating (she doesnt understand everything) He sends the measurments up across the border every evening to a factory that he has for cutting and construction. Turnaround is about 1.5 weeks total with maybe 2-3 fittings. Anyways, will try and get more details and let you know.

K

8. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

DGP and Tysk,

Good points, I guess the thing is that since I am in Hong Kong, I feel like it would be a bit of a shame not to make use of the tailoring facilities.

Well, UK is more expensive so an OTR in UK is the price of a custom job in HK. So may as well pay the same, get my funky lining, working buttonholes, etc...

K