• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

major suit alterations

zims

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I would like to ask for advice regarding a potential alteration of one of my suits. I have a plain, black, single-breasted, three-button wool suit that I originally bought for my high school graduation several years ago. The jacket and trousers are fine in length; however, the fit of the suit is noticeably larger than I would like; larger than what is consistent with the slimmer and trimmer suits of today. I'm quite confident that the chest and sleeves of the jacket need to be reduced in width, and perhaps even the shoulders taken in. Similarly, the pants need to be reduced to a slimmer, less baggy fit.

My question is: considering what to me appear as major alterations to the suit, should I proceed with finding a tailor, or will it be more cost-effective to simply purchase a new suit altogether? This one's hardly been worn, so I'd definitely like to get more use out of it. If I do go ahead with alterations, are there any important things I need to be aware of?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Zims
Edmonton, Canada

breakfasteatre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, read this thread and see if you still want to keep the suit: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=black+suit second, the alterations that you would like to have done would be considered serious reconstructive surgery that if the tailor had the skills to perform, would cost alot. Considering the suit is black and you wore it to your highschool graduation, im sure it wasnt too expensive so i dont think it would be worth it to attempt to get the alterations done.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leaving the color of the suit aside for a moment, I'd recommend considering letting it go.

I can empathize in that I lost enough weight to do down from a 44R to a 42R suit size this past year and some of my clothes that I had worn and loved simply no longer fit. Although I tried to salvage some of them by having pants taken in and shirts slimmed, almost all of it simply just didn't fit anymore and tailoring it down produced poor results.

In particular, one of my favorite sportcoats is simply too big for me now. I took it to my tailor to see if it could be reduced and he told me that it wasn't worth it. He gently pointed out that it wasn't the highest-quality garment to begin with and the cost of reducing it would probably be about 1/2 the original cost do to the major restructuring involved. My money was better-spent on looking for a good deal on a replacement. Plus, the end result wouldn't be nearly as good as buying a new one that fit properly.

So, when I see other forumites faces with the same dilemma, all I can say is that find a competent and honest tailor to give their best assessment. Chances are they'll tell you "no, it can't be done satisfactory".

So, let it go. Donate it to a friend for whom it fits, sell it, or thrift it. Save your money and find a killer deal on a new suit that really fits well.

cvac

Reaction score
Get a new suit.

Those alterations won't be cheap if you take it to someone who knows what they are doing, i.e. someone who can make $3000 suits from scratch.

The likely result is that you'll take it to someone who doesn't know what they're doing to save money, then you'll have an ill fitting black suit that you spent too much money on that never gets worn.

Again, get a new suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics