• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Major Kitchen Appliances

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There's a "Ranges" threak, I think started by Manton, with a lot of helpful info. Honestly, the chowhound forums and gardenweb are great resources, though I agree you need to wade through a lot of info and partisanship, and it can be hard to sort out fiction from fact when you don't know the posters as well. I am also in the market, and I have pretty much settled on Blue Star. If no frills is what you are looking for, BS is it. I don't know that there are any electronics in the damned things besides the thermostat and the ignitors. No screens, no clocks, no timers, no nothing. They have monster power (22K BTU - better than anything else on the market, unless you buy a dedicated wok setup - Capital has one - but it replaces 4 normal burners. Since you're doing a swap-out on a 30" unit, that's not an option). They also have pretty serious broilers, and I gather the infrared gas broilers are superior to anything electric on the market. There are definitely some complainers out there who've had bad experiences, but as you point out, there are complainers on every brand. Someone has had a **** experience with everyone. But what appeals to me about BS is that they're so simple, I've been told any qualified gas guy ought to be able to fix it. The drawbacks of BS seem to be: - No self-cleaning available. - Gas oven, which can be a little less stable than electric, and I think is apparently more humid than electric. For serious bakers, I gather this is an issue. - They're pretty fugly and the build quality, while solid, is not nearly so polished as most of the other brands out there. - Open burners, which many say are harder to clean. Full disclosure: I don't have one yet, but I am doing a complete house remodel and I'm pretty much settled on the BlueStar. I looked at the other high-end brands: Dacor, Viking, Wolf, and some of the other more mainstream brands as well... none really appealed to me like the BS. I did not look at any Bosch units. Power was a big issue for me that nobody else could touch. Wolf was probably 2nd on my list - it was recommended by several pro chefs I know who have them at home. Also, I am getting a 2nd standalone electric oven, so some of the oven issues fell to the wayside for me. Good luck and have fun. There are so many aspects to consider - Even the BlueStar I consider to be something of a compromise. Edit: Also, BlueStar is in Reading, PA. Knowing where you are, even if you have a major issue, the manufacturer is just a few hours' drive away if it comes to anything serious.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have a Subzero that is getting close to five years old, never had to have it repaired. Viking just as old, repaired once.

If I could do it over, though, I would probably get a Bluestar.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dammit I posted in Manton's ranges thread--I knew I'd been through this before.

I've realized that before I mentally commit to anything I need to get someone to look at my kitchen and tell me what's possible. The range and hood I'm replacing are really old and I'm concerned about the gas lines and electric, plus the hood's ductwork.
frown.gif

Truthfully, our place is small enough that I don't know if it's worth getting eyepopping power burners if I can't get better ventilation than I have now.

The bluestar 30" is attractive, though--if I don't have to spend on updating the guts of the kitchen just to make it feasible. I probably cook 5 nights a week so I can justify the cost... like I justify $200 jeans.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Dammit I posted in Manton's ranges thread--I knew I'd been through this before.

I've realized that before I mentally commit to anything I need to get someone to look at my kitchen and tell me what's possible. The range and hood I'm replacing are really old and I'm concerned about the gas lines and electric, plus the hood's ductwork.
frown.gif

Truthfully, our place is small enough that I don't know if it's worth getting eyepopping power burners if I can't get better ventilation than I have now.

The bluestar 30" is attractive, though--if I don't have to spend on updating the guts of the kitchen just to make it feasible. I probably cook 5 nights a week so I can justify the cost... like I justify $200 jeans.

Assuming you live in a house and not an apartment, this can all be moved/fixed. My house is from the 60's, kitchen was never updated, the cooking surface was a 24 inch pink ceramic countertop and the "ventilation" was a fan on the wall at counter level. We put in a Vent A Hood vented through the roof and 48 inch range.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Assuming you live in a house and not an apartment, this can all be moved/fixed. My house is from the 60's, kitchen was never updated, the cooking surface was a 24 inch pink ceramic countertop and the "ventilation" was a fan on the wall at counter level. We put in a Vent A Hood vented through the roof and 48 inch range.

small timer.

i bet vox has a 94-inch custom bespoke range.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a house. Essentially, though, if I need to call a contractor and get real work done, I'll just wait and not replace the range until we can afford a significant kitchen remodel. Maybe I'll check back in on this thread in a few years.

Originally Posted by Douglas
small timer.

i bet vox has a 94-inch custom bespoke range.

That sounds about right, although he considers measuring to be beneath him.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was advised against getting the Liebherr due to its less than Wolf flexibility when it comes to now-you-see-it-now-you-don't kind of integration.
The individual advising wasn't on a commission with Wolf, btw.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you guys keep talking about Wolf vs. Liebherr?
confused.gif

Wolf owns Sub-Zero I know but jesus you're confusing me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I also wish I had gotten a Vent-a-Hood. Through the roof would have been nice, but impossible in my house.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I also wish I had gotten a Vent-a-Hood. Through the roof would have been nice, but impossible in my house.

Wait, you don't have a real hood at all?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have a Subzero that is getting close to five years old, never had to have it repaired.
I think our Sub Zero is 12 or 13 years old now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads