• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Major Kitchen Appliances

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So my wife and I are having our first meeting with our home builder next week. We are already trying to think of spec'ing kitchen appliances, as they will probably not be cheap, need to have an idea for the kitchen layout, and basically, money is not limitless. The thread on refrig's spurred this one.

So, we can safely rule out 13k for a fridge. We also need a dishwaser, mircowave, double oven, and stovetop. I saw a unit, this weekend, that was a nice six top gas burner stove, with a double electric convection oven.

Having matching items would be very nice.

Thoughts?

P.S. Hipsters need not apply.

satorstyle

Reaction score
What style kitchen? Modern or traditional and what's the budget for the appliances?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Whatever you do, get open burners. Sealed burners suck.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
What style kitchen? Modern or traditional and what's the budget for the appliances?

Traditional through transitional (per some websites). Don't have a fixed budget yet, other than not paying 13k for a fridge!

We plan on granite counters, a nice big island, large cabinets, medium shade wood, slate or tile floor.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Whatever you do, get open burners. Sealed burners suck.

Thanks for the tip. Any thoughts on electric convectional ovens vs. gas? We've done some reading, and for baking (my wife's passion), it seems electric gives more evenly dispersed heat (no hot or cool spots).

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Thanks for the tip. Any thoughts on electric convectional ovens vs. gas? We've done some reading, and for baking (my wife's passion), it seems electric gives more evenly dispersed heat (no hot or cool spots).

Yes. Electric is great for convection ovens.
But the burners have to have to have to have to have to be gas.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
For baking, convection is more important than electric v. gas. I have a duel fuel, and paid more for it, but I am not longer sure I needed to.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I have always found that kitchen dealers are constantly replacing showrooms, and more often than not, blow out the display appliances at very substantial discounts. They are basically still new and unused, and probably still hold the warranty. Although this is something that requires more lead time/running around, the efforts can really be worth it. You either save money that can be spent elsewhere, or allow you to upgrade for the same budget.

This works for bathrooms as well.

But the burners have to have to have to have to have to be gas.
Doesn't induction offer all the benefits of an open flame (and then some), while being far more efficient? It is a bit picky about the type of pots though.

Just wondering...what are you planning to need gas for?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass

Doesn't induction offer all the benefits of an open flame (and then some), while being far more efficient? It is a bit picky about the type of pots though.

Just wondering...what are you planning to need gas for?

Induction is supposedly better, but it's entirely crap (cheap-mid range prices) or incredible (very high prices). My parents just got a new induction burner range, and an electric convection because we don't have gas lines to my old house. The induction burners are complete pieces of ****, while the oven works great. I think in order to get quality induction burners, you really have to pay an arm and a leg. While it may be worth it for guys like Grant Achatz, I don't know if Piobaire or any other average Joes would be willing to drop that much dough on it.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still jealous that a friend of mine has a whole separate apparatus under his counter made by Subzero that does nothing but create ice.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Convection is great for baking and roasting. Makes everything cook and brown much more evenly. Once you try it you will see, and you will be glad you have it.
Any "budget" recommendations? I suppose i could downgrade to the 30".

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
Induction is supposedly better, but it's entirely crap (cheap-mid range prices) or incredible (very high prices). My parents just got a new induction burner range, and an electric convection because we don't have gas lines to my old house. The induction burners are complete pieces of ****, while the oven works great. I think in order to get quality induction burners, you really have to pay an arm and a leg.
I think individual cooking habits/requirements mean a lot. Also, because of pot/pan requirements of induction you are apt to invest in good pots like All Clad, where low/med temps actually yield better cooking results anyway.

But, I think the main problem right now with induction, is power distribution. On a multi-burner unit, you usually get one high wattage burner (generally 3500 watts or the equiv of about .20,000 BTU of gas). Then the other burners have considerable less, as the total wattage of the whole unit is limited to a maximum. Even the power to the big unit generally reduces as you use more burners.

This is practical for most existing households, as upgrading the power isn't so practical.

But in a new house build, you can dedicate more amps for this purpose, and just get units that have high wattage (usually sold in doubles).

Not sure if that means you can use the more reasonably priced stuff for those results, but the prices seem to be dropping as it becomes more mainstream. And don't forget, over time you should be saving energy costs which do offset things. How much, I don't know. Pretty sure gas prices aren't going down though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads