• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maison Margiela Replicas bought off therealreal fake or real?

Sandcube

Reaction score
Bought used but not sure if legit

15315011216261461481642.jpg

1531501149460769411871.jpg

1531501197604196384242.jpg

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks legit to me, and I haven't heard of any fakes coming from TRR. (They sometimes get the seasons of stuff wrong, but they seem to know whether something is legit or not.) Is there anything that would lead you to believe it's not?

Sandcube

Reaction score
Just the made in Italy is barely legible and the
logo printing 1-23 Is also very faded

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are legit, both the things you're talking about are related to stamping in soft suede/leather, and tend to fade over time. Due to the nap of the suede raising over time and general wear and tear / abrasion, it may be less pronounced. Everything else is spot on: the laces (color and length), the inner leather, the insole (stamping and material) and label, the elastic band etc. They are 100% legit.

Sandcube

Reaction score
Those are legit, both the things you're talking about are related to stamping in soft suede/leather, and tend to fade over time. Due to the nap of the suede raising over time and general wear and tear / abrasion, it may be less pronounced. Everything else is spot on: the laces (color and length), the inner leather, the insole (stamping and material) and label, the elastic band etc. They are 100% legit.
Right on thanks for the info

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same question here. I just ordered a pair off The Real Real on the off chance they're really real, but I'm skeptical. The Real Real has gotten some press for trafficking fakes (wittingly or not).

The translucence of the gum sole seems off, as does the faintness of the number branding on the tongue. What does everyone think?

WMMAM22627_3_enlarged.jpg

WMMAM22627_5_enlarged.jpg

WMMAM22627_2_enlarged.jpg

And while we're at it, another pair I got from them in a different size. Does the sole always have a branded "22"? Cuz that's missing here.

WMMAM22596_5_enlarged.jpg

Last edited:

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they look legit to me. the 22 stamp on the bottom sole is on and off even within the same season.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah, mmm did soles that were more translucent, some more opaque at different times. those look good to me.

KyleX

Reaction score
anyone know about these? also from the realreal, the stitching on the toes and heels is different, the suede "22" patch on the tongue doesn't say maison margiela anywhere, the sole AND insole have no branding whatsoever.....
WMMAM23296_3_enlarged.jpg

WMMAM23296_4_enlarged.jpg

WMMAM23296_5_enlarged.jpg

lmao what are theseeee

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, their clothing/shoes never said "Margiela" anywhere (even on the inside) until some point after Diesel bought the brand in 2002 -- potentially only after Margiela himself exited completely circa 2009.

But I have no idea whether those are legit.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How reliable in general these consignment sites are, I've seen e.g totally fugazi Triple S's on Vestiaire collective, and from a "trusted seller"

blacklight

Reaction score
anyone know about these? also from the realreal, the stitching on the toes and heels is different, the suede "22" patch on the tongue doesn't say maison margiela anywhere, the sole AND insole have no branding whatsoever.....
View attachment 1441781
View attachment 1441783
View attachment 1441784

lmao what are theseeee

Assuming these are the same pair that have just been relisted over at Vestaire Collective, they are blatant fakes, though not for the reason you pointed out.

For one, these look nothing like Replicas. Both the toebox and shoe shape are off, as even a cooked authentic pair will never be so rounded at the front. The logo tab on the front of the shoes are all horrid and the line numbers are uneven + not parallel with the stitching. The heel tab should not be segmented from the rest of the shoe, and should instead continue down to the rubber sole. The shoes are evidently so fake the rear stitch (should be much lower) looks as though it wants nothing to do with the rest of the enterprise. The construction is cheap as hell, and there are numerous typos in the card that the seller has been so gracious to include a picture of in order to assure us they are real:

"By experience, lack of homogeneity is to be expected among similar item therefore differing results are wanted and cannot be claimed as fault. Play attention to the matching with clear and white garments." (sic)

Yeah, OK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads