1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Maison Celadon and Millésime - fine watches - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Sep 25, 2018.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm very proud to announce that Maison Celadon and Millésime, two watch brands founded by @Benjamin Chee HH - one of our long time members who has organized many cloth group buys as well as a frequent participant in the watch appreciation thread - is now an official Styleforum affiliate vendor.

I first read about Maison Celadon a few years ago in the Watch Appreciation thead, and it caught my attention immediately.

Ben started Maison Celadon in 2012 with the mission of designing and producing well-designed, high-quality, watches that are made in China with pride, and with original designs inspired by Chinese history and cultural allusions.

The aesthetic is romantic, powerful, and artistic and aims to showcase the wonder and virtuosity of fifty centuries (Five Millennia!) of Chinese history and artisan craftsmanship.

[​IMG]
    The Imperial Peacock Watch
    Maison Celadon can be visited and the watches purchased at https://maisonceladon.com
    _______________________________________________​
    Ben's second brand, Millésime, was founded this year (2018) after three years of designing and refining the watches and prototypes and showcases a different area of Ben's interest, the vintage-inspired watches from the 1950s mid-century and 1930s Art Deco era (Incidentally, this is something I've gotten into recently as well.) Ben uses top quality materials and craftsmanship and Swiss movements. The aesthetic is sleek, sartorial, and both elegant and flamboyant.

Millésime is https://millesimewatch.com/
    The webstore will open this Sunday (Sept 30, 2018).

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Fok, owner and member, Styleforum.net

2. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Congrats. I have a Celadon watch and like it very much. Plus the logo looks like the Maserati trident.

3. KtSty

KtSty New Member

4. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

5. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Excellent news! Celadon was one of the rare affordable micro-brands that were original in spirit and result.

Ben, why switch to Swiss movements for the next project? Why move away from BWAF which was a large part of the attraction with Celadon?

6. Benjamin Chee HH

Benjamin Chee HH Senior Member Affiliate Vendor

Thank you Fok and everyone for the warm welcome here! As I was telling Fok earlier, becoming an Affiliate Vendor here is like coming home to hang out with friends again, and I'm very happy to be able to give back to this community! Many of you have supported me through the years in my many custom jacketing and shirting cloth runs, and I truly appreciate and thank you all for this!

For those of you who don't know, I've been reading Styleforum since 2004 or so, and joined up as a member in 2008. A lot has changed in the past decade, but two of my passions - beautifully-made watches and dressing stylishly, remain evergreen in my heart. I grew up surrounded by some very nice Swiss watches as my father was a big collector, and really got started into Chinese watches around 2009 when I moved from London to Shanghai. In 2012, a few of my friends in Singapore asked me to recommend a fine Chinese watch, which got me looking at the best of what was available at the time. I simply couldn't find what I wanted - an understated, elegant design with refined yet unmistakeable Chinese influences, coupled with a well-made and well-finished movement. And so I created this watch for myself and for my friends, and later started offering to some of my internet friends, the watch that would eventually become the Celadon Imperial, my very first watch that I designed, Made in China with Pride.

If you look through the Watch Appreciation thread here, you'll find my posts from 2012 and 2013 showing the first prototypes of the Celadon Imperial, and quite a few Styleforum members went on to order the First Series that I produced, with many coming back to purchase my later watches such as the Imperial Second and Third Series (Imperial Peacock, and Plum Blossom in Midnight Blue, and Blanc de Chine) and Yue Fei. In my next main post I will introduce in full the brand story of Maison Celadon, but for now I'll just talk about the history that has led me up to this point.

In 2015, I started designing a new model that didn't look like any of my previous designs. At that point, I had been collecting and wearing vintage Swiss watches for several years, but I wanted a watch that had the vintage looks without the fragility and irreplaceability of a real vintage watch. I envisioned a design with influences from my two favourite eras of vintage watches, the Art Deco and the 1950s/60s. After three years of designing, prototyping, field-testing, and tweaking these designs based on real world experience wearing them, I now prepare to launch my new brand Millésime (French for vintage) this week. Millésime has a very different aesthetic from Maison Celadon, although both my brands share the same emphasis on high quality, elegant yet charismatic design, and personal service from the heart. In my next main post, I shall also introduce Millésime in full...

7. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

8. Benjamin Chee HH

Thank you Dr T! Glad to hear that your Celadon continues to delight you. The Celadon Seal is actually shaped like an imperial tripod cauldron, or 鼎, the symbol of sovereign authority in Ancient China for millennia. It conveys gravitas and power, and underlines the sacred mission that we have undertaken to create a Chinese luxury brand for the 21st century and revive the great spirit of artisan hand-craftsmanship of the Chinese nation.

Hope to catch up with you again in HK soon!

9. Benjamin Chee HH

10. Benjamin Chee HH

Thank you for the welcome Wurger! The Yue Fei is due for delivery in early December, and we are already 95% sold out. We improved the straps and buckles significantly, and I can't wait to send them out to their new proud owners!

Here's the pre-order site for reference - https://maisonceladon.com/pages/yuefei

And a review by TimeBum who has now purchased two Celadon watches - http://www.thetimebum.com/2018/06/maison-celadon-yue-fei.html

More reviews will naturally come as the Yue Fei is delivered of course...

A picture of my Yue Fei in Azure on a grey stingray strap...

Yue Fei Azure 4.jpg

11. Benjamin Chee HH

Thank you for your kind words Am55! I try my best to continually delight all my watch owners and over-deliver on quality and personal service! :D

We have not switched to Swiss movements for Celadon. Maison Celadon continues to and will always be Made in China with Pride, using the absolute best Chinese craftsmanship available, and we will always strive to surpass our current standard. An example of this is with our latest CG18 and CG24 movements, which feature hand-polished anglage on the movement plates. With the new Yue Fei and Celestial Silk, our case design and hand-finishing have also been significantly improved over our previous generation of watches.

It is Millésime, my second brand, that uses Swiss movements (Vaucher and ETA). It encompasses a very different aesthetic and brand story from Celadon. Both brands are essentially different facets of my personality, reflecting my different interests and passions.

12. Benjamin Chee HH

To celebrate the launch this weekend of my new watch brand Millésime (https://millesimewatch.com/), celebrating the style and flamboyant designs of vintage watches from the Art Deco and 1950s, I'd like to post the watch I'm wearing today, the Merveilleux in Navy. We are retailing this watch at 648 USD but the price is 498 USD during this short pre-order period, and the first 30 buyers will receive a pair of Millésime Double Ten Cufflinks worth 298 USD too.

And if any of you happen to be in the area, both my brands Maison Celadon (https://maisonceladon.com/) and Millésime will be showing at the Aurochronos fair in Lodz, Poland this Saturday and Sunday, and the District Time DC show in Washington DC this Sunday. You can see my watches from both brands in the metal, and meet my dear ambassadors.

I look forward to chatting more with you guys! :D

6.jpg

13. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Is there a particular reason it looks like a computer mockup?

14. Benjamin Chee HH

It's not, it's a real photo I took with my Huawei phone camera and edited using an Instagram filter.

On the Maison Celadon Instagram @maisonceladon you can see videos of this same Yue Fei in Azure (and its Obsidian brother) being worn by me.

15. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Ben, Chinese phone camera software is notoriously bad (despite decent sensors), you should try a camera app like Google Camera (tricky to install) or if you're stuck with Google Play apps, OpenCamera. The processing is much better, particularly white balance and exposure.