• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maintaining Weight And Losing Gut

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Ok, let me get this straight.

You can barely bench 225 yet, but you have separate days for chest, shoulders, arms? What's the point. Arms day? What do you do, 5 billion curls and extensions? Complete overkill.

This is purely my own opinion. I'd cut down your weight training to three days a week, concentrating on squats, deads, press. That's really all you need for a long time. Well, throw some dips and pullups in there too. And stay away from the machines, free weights only. And then throw in 2 days of conditioning in there when you do some cardio, plyometrics, maybe some heavy bag work, cycling or something, to keep up your overall conditioning.

Done.

Thanks for you reply. I see your point. I just got use to the routine. Would you post your routine?

What do you mean by concentrate? More than once a week? I do squats, press, and deads on my leg day. My squats are about 320 with the smith machine (no rack at our gym, they took it out for insurance purposes), 600 lbs on the leg press, 80 lb free weight on straight leg deadlift. Basically, I've been steadily improving in that area.

With the cardio, at what intensity and how long?

Will this stay in line with my goad of reduce my waist size a couple inches and maintain my weight?

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
Flambeur, I agree with everything you say.

Away from this forum and into the real world; benching even 200 pounds is considered pretty strong. I reckon that the OP is probably stronger than 99% of the people he passes on the high street.

Many of you guys here are SERIOUSLY strong. It's impressive, takes discipline and hard work. However, it's not common.

Lear

Either you think 200 is kg, not lbs, or you're a funny guy.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the Internet! Everyone's hardcore and has a 200lb.+ bench and 300+lb. squat. And since people on the Internet are in the real world, everyone in the real world must be the same.
laugh.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
This is the Internet! Everyone's hardcore and has a 200lb.+ bench and 300+lb. squat. And since people on the Internet are in the real world, everyone in the real world must be the same.
laugh.gif

Well, a select group of people are answering this thread, so it's entirely possible everyone's numbers are accurate. Of course I say that and I don't bench 200+ or squat 300+.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Either you think 200 is kg, not lbs, or you're a funny guy.
Hello bkk I'm not doubting your skill, strength or dedication. You also seem to know a lot about weight training. I on the other hand, know very little about the subject. Just enough in fact to stop me from turning into a slob. But I would still politely say (and without wishing to cause offence), that your average guy on your average street, cannot bench 200 pounds. Edit: Or put another way: The majority of men in most gyms, cannot bench 200 pounds. Lear

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, i do not combine shoulders and legs. If you are doing 1 hr 30mins, perhaps you are working on too many unecessary exercises, or taking too much rest time between sets or distracted by other users.

I hope this thread is not turning into another how much can you bench debate.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello bkk

I'm not doubting your skill, strength or dedication. You also seem to know a lot about weight training.

I on the other hand, know very little about the subject. Just enough in fact to stop me from turning into a slob.

But I would still politely say (and without wishing to cause offence), that your average guy on your average street, cannot bench 200 pounds.

Edit: Or put another way: The majority of men in most gyms, cannot bench 200 pounds.

Lear

The vast majority of people on the planet cannot bunch 200 pounds.

beasty

Reaction score
Hello bkk

I'm not doubting your skill, strength or dedication. You also seem to know a lot about weight training.

I on the other hand, know very little about the subject. Just enough in fact to stop me from turning into a slob.

But I would still politely say (and without wishing to cause offence), that your average guy on your average street, cannot bench 200 pounds.

Edit: Or put another way: The majority of men in most gyms, cannot bench 200 pounds.

Lear

Obama can bench 90 kg which is close to 200 pounds and he looks skinny even with his suit on.

bkk

Reaction score
Perhaps my "average" is a bit skewed. I'm taking the average of people at my gym who actually step foot in the weight room, and a majority of them have a 1 rep max of 200+lbs. Its not exactly fair to include the average fat American into the average since they don't give a damn.

bkk

Reaction score
And although I do know some things about working out, I'm not that knowledgeable. Most of what I know is based on trying different things and being aware of what works and what doesn't for my body.

Chicago Guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Ok, let me get this straight.

You can barely bench 225 yet, but you have separate days for chest, shoulders, arms? What's the point. Arms day? What do you do, 5 billion curls and extensions? Complete overkill.

This is purely my own opinion. I'd cut down your weight training to three days a week, concentrating on squats, deads, press. That's really all you need for a long time. Well, throw some dips and pullups in there too. And stay away from the machines, free weights only. And then throw in 2 days of conditioning in there when you do some cardio, plyometrics, maybe some heavy bag work, cycling or something, to keep up your overall conditioning.

Done.

+ 100!! Agreed 100%...unless you're interested in becoming some professional bodybuilder there's no need to do iso exercises. Stick to the main exercises that work multiple muscles...e.g. deadlfits (I see nobody doing this in the gym for some reason - it's a must have in your rotation), squats, bench press, pull-ups, dips, rows.

Stick to these and you'll be good to go. As stated above, include cardio in there.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Perhaps my "average" is a bit skewed. I'm taking the average of people at my gym who actually step foot in the weight room, and a majority of them have a 1 rep max of 200+lbs. Its not exactly fair to include the average fat American into the average since they don't give a damn.
Fair point there bkk. I should have been clearer.
Originally Posted by bkk
And although I do know some things about working out, I'm not that knowledgeable. Most of what I know is based on trying different things and being aware of what works and what doesn't for my body.
Same here. I've ditched all of the 'small' stuff in favour of deadlifts, squats, bench, pull-ups, dips and overhead press. Interestingly, I've found that you only seem to be able to do deadlifts if you... err... do deadlifts. What I mean is that there are strong folk at my gym, who for some reason never do them. What I've observed, is how nothing in their otherwise impressive repertoire of 'movements', provides them with the strength to deadlift anything other than light/moderate weights. But looking at them, you'd be convinced otherwise. I was astounded when a colossus of a man confided in me that he couldn't shift the weight that I'd just slamed back onto the floor. I on the other hand, was in awe of his benching ability. I'm also surprised at how so many people refuse to do deadlifts (or squats) on the grounds that they'll damage their back or knees, without ever having tried them! So, deadlifts it has been for me. I don't know why, but they seem to do the trick more than anything else. Good luck with your progress bkk.
smile.gif

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
laugh.gif

When I was lifting for high school (20 years ago..
frown.gif
), I benched 185 and squatted over 500 (for reps, too scared to try for a max. God it was heavy!). ******* weird. I have really ****** upper body genetics, but my legs get huge. Back then I wore a 34 waist and had to buy 36s to fit my thighs/ass. I used to be quick on a bike, too.
smile.gif
WRT working out: I'm in total agreement with the above. Compound exercises. Keep it simple. Keep it intense. I utilized HIT methods to great effect when I lifted. I hate the gym and I hate lifting, so the less time I spend in there, the happier I am.
smile.gif

Lear

Reaction score
Please don't let me steer this thread away from 'Maintaining Weight and Losing Gut'. I've had two modes of operation: 1.) I tell myself that I'm eating well, while conveniently overlooking the candy bar I had at lunchtime, the hamburger I had (but only 3 times a week, so it doesn't really count does it
eh.gif
), the coke I had in the evening (because I was thirsty on the way home, and it's never good to be dehydrated), the 9 billion calorie restaurant meal (because it would be rude to refuse)... And so it goes on, with the promise that TOMORROW I'LL START IN EARNEST! 2.) I plan every day, eating what we all know we should for maximum result. I consume no candy, no salt, no burgers, no soft drinks. If I try to remember when I last consumed crap, and I can't... THAT'S when I know I'm doing it right. The funny thing is that THAT'S when I'm also making the most progress. Coincidence? This, I have found to be the only way of getting rid of my gut, while maintaining muscle mass.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, Lear. When I cook all 3 meals a day, I know exactly what I'm putting into my body. No sugar, no garbage, and I lose weight. When I get lazy, I start eating the stupid chips and candy at work (it's free!) and next thing you know, "Why won't these pants fit me! They must've shrunk in the wash..."

Eat clean, lift heavy, look good. Several PTs I know have all said how you look is probably 90% what you eat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads