Maintaining the Sartorial Look under extreme weather

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Prime, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Prime

Prime Active Member

Have anyone made crazy efforts in maintaining the Sartorial look under such extreme weather condition? Feel free to share what you wear, extreme hot or extreme cold

[​IMG]

2. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

For those of us used to Fahrenheit, that's a truly mental 115 degrees.

3. bubba04

bubba04 Senior member

4. Prime

Prime Active Member

I would love to wear the beach wear @ the office! Haha

5. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

At those temperatures. I'd dress like a Saudi prince.

6. ZAZES

ZAZES New Member

Here in Spain it's not that uncommon to see 40+ Cº in the summer and you can see the poor bankers straining under the heat. Wearing a suit under the sun on a pavement close to 50 Cº is downright suicidal.

7. Prime

Prime Active Member

Think no fabric will ever work in this condition!
    Wonder anyone has tried using these under their shirt or jacket! Hahaha

[​IMG]

8. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

Pretty freaking brutal. Here in LA we've had a few summers that came close, but at least it's a dry heat. I'd take 115 and dry over 95 and humid any day.

If your office permits linen (or at least tolerates it, due to present circumstances), try it out. Very light tropical wools can also work. Either way, an unlined jacket is key. It's been my experience that lining has a far greater effect than shell material on how warm a suit wears. No lining can make a huge and immediately noticeable difference.
    E

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

Shorts and as close to a leisure shirt as you can get. JBs. for the workforce to be productive the employer needs to relax standards appropriate to cool weather.

10. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

When the heat is extreme here in NYC, the subway can be absolutely unbearable when dressed for work. On the worst days, I will wear shorts and a polo and carry my work clothing in a garment bag. I get to work early and take the service elevator up to my office and change there. Then I change back out of those clothes and do the reverse trip.

I don't really like to wear short pants in the city, but the heat of some NYC subway stations is something you have to experience firsthand to understand.

11. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I wish I followed this advice! Over the summer, I went from Paris, which was about 19 at the time, to Budapest, which was pushing 40. I got onto the flight with pants and a sport coat; upon landing, I borrowed a line from Anchorman, "I immediately regret this decision." Summer + sartorial = hot.

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

We had 45 yesterday in Sydney. I was wearing drivers , pair of very light biscuit colored chinos(really thin) and khaki colored polo and sky blue cotton unstructured SC. A Friday attire to work. On a really hot day cotton SC can provide a little bit of protection from the sun. I think it all depends on peoples body type. If you are skinny you will not feel that hot even on really hot day. Skinny people tend to sweat less. I always feel cold at work. One of my jacket stays at my work. The air con at work kills me.

13. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

As a skinny person who gets really hot on even moderately warm days, I disagree with categorical statements like this one. :) And extreme heat sucks as badly for me as it does for anyone else.