1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Maintaining Dr Martens' Greasy Finish

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Dec 14, 2004.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

Some of you will remember my recent thread about Dr Martens boots. I ended up finding a pair of the shoes, made in England, in my size looking almost new at a thrift store for $10, and they are performing their task (work shoes) nicely. They actually look pretty good too.

I have a question for the leather experts, however. These have the 'greasy' finish, which I like. I want to maintain it and protect it, but when I tried regular shoe polish, it made them shiny, which I don't want. Is there something else I can use on these to keep them looking properly greasy?

Thanks.

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Use baseball glove conditioner.

3. justbrowsing

justbrowsing Active Member

Dr Martens makes just the thing - Wonder Balsam. "A special blend of natural waxes to restore, protect and condition all types of greasy and waxy leather."

4. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Try mink oil, or for an even greasier finish, try sno-seal...I promise that will make them greasy

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Sno-seal might do the trick. I keep on collecting tongue pads from a Bostonian store in the local mall, so I picked up a bottle of their weather repellent cream. It gives my boots a slightly oily appearance and maybe lasts through one long storm (one week) before requiring a second coat. $5 and worth it for protecting the uppers on your "beaters".

6. j

j Senior member Admin

Sno seal, excellent idea. I have three or four half-jars of it lying around somewhere. Thanks.

7. JleC

JleC Member

I swear by stuff called 'Bear Grease', made by House of Laurila. I cant find it anywhere anymore, but liked it better than the Doc's brand. I am hording the last of the tin. Anyone heard of this stuff before?

8. j

j Senior member Admin

Dare I ask?

9. Nektopoli

Nektopoli Active Member

Word of caution about the soles or Dr. M, don't wear them in snowy or icy conditions, not because of the precipitation but because of the chemicals use to melt snow and ice, something in there reacts with the sole and cause them to crack. I don't own a pair but have a friend who swears that is why the soles crack.

NP

10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

If the soles are resistant to oil, fat, acid, alkali, and petrol, as they claim to and have proven to be, I really doubt that salt would cause them to crack.

I've got a couple of pair of Doc Martens I've had for 10 years that definitely show wear and I've taken them to hell and back, but I've never heard, seen, or experienced any such occurrance.