1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Maintaining an Antique Finish on Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Aaron, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Hey Gents,

I recently purchased a pair of chelsea boots with an antiqued finish. The boots are a rich brown with black highlights. How do I polish these shoes and still maintain the finish? Will I have to mimic the finish with a combination of black and brown shoe cream everytime I polish them? Thanks for your help and input.

Aaron

2. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

If you want to maintain the original finish I'd recommend neutral shoe cream, and when absolutely necessary, neutral paste wax. Good, neutral shoe cream is water-based so it won't harm the finish. Paste wax, however, contains mineral spirit so you want to apply this very gently and sparingly. Buff lightly after ~10-15 min. If you buff too early while enough spirit is still on the surface you could rub off the antique finish. If you wait too long, you'd need to buff hard to get a good shine so you could also smear off the finish. Also try using a mild paste wax --one which contains natural ingredients (beeswax and carnauba).