Maine (National Parks, Outdoors, etc.)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MetroStyles, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Spending weekend in Maine alone over the next couple days. Want to do some hiking / vista enjoying. Nothing too adventurous as I don't have the equipment/clothing for stuff like kayaking, climbing etc. with me up here.

Looking for some cool stuff to check out. Definitely stopping by Acadia park. Anything else I should do? I have a rental car, a good budget, and spare time. Thanks.

P.S. Please no restaurant recs. Have already enjoyed Portland's best restaurants and it's not what I'm interested in for the weekend.

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

acadia is great
    freeport outlets
    baxter/katahdin
    bath iron works
    lots of nice little coastal towns
    monhegan island
    lobstah shacks

3. intent

intent Senior member

You seem to have quite a bit covered. I also recommend driving along Rte 1 instead of the interstate. Better coastal views that way.

No SF in ME?

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

if you're just there for the weekend stay on mt desert and focus on acadia/bar harbor. bike the carriage trails, climb cadillac, kayak in frenchman's bay, drive around the other side & check out northeast & bass harbor, etc.

http://www.acadiamagic.com/Park.html

5. MetroStyles

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Obama will be in Acadia this weekend. I hope they don't have barricades or close of trails for him...

6. romafan

romafan Senior member

Obama will be in Acadia this weekend. I hope they don't have barricades or close of trails for him...

go down to kennebunkport and blame it in bush!

7. MetroStyles

Went to Acadia and Camden and it was awesome. Love getting out of NY.

8. feynmix

feynmix Senior member

Bump.

Need recommendations for something similar to Acadia but not 8 hours away. Planning a trip with 5 other friends but want it to be a 2-3 hour drive from NYC.

Ideally, looking to camp (or rent a cabin), hike the trails with lots of opportunities for activity in the water would be great - kayak, canoe, etc.

There are lots of parks in upstate NY, but asking here in case anyone has anything specific in mind. Please help..[​IMG]

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Add 2.5 hours to your driving time and hit the Adirondacks. Try these guys in Saranac Lake if you need to rent canoes or gear. They can also advise on a route.

If not canoeing there are plenty of challenging mountains to climb.

[​IMG]

lefty

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

Add 2.5 hours to your driving time and hit the Adirondacks. Try these guys in Saranac Lake if you need to rent canoes or gear. They can also advise on a route.

If not canoeing there are plenty of challenging mountains to climb.

[​IMG]

lefty

[​IMG] I talked to them last week. We're visiting some friends up on Spitfire Lake, and are going to do a couple of days in the wilderness/non-mototrboat section.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

Here's my advice. Start far into the back waters and work your way back to Saranac Lake. It will be far less crowded back there.

The beauty of paddling back to the outfitters is that they are right on a waterway in town and you can just slide up to your car. That's after the portage across the main street in town. Possibly the only time I had a canoe on my shoulders as I waited for the traffic lights to change. Cool thing about SL is that no one batted an eye.

lefty

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Penobscot Narrows Bridge & Observatory [​IMG] it has an observation tower that you can see the whole river... on the right day... its breathtaking... its perfect for the lonely traveller, with a car too, because its pretty far away and desolate. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] more pics from this blog: http://www.michelestapleton.com/blog...e-observatory/ [​IMG]