• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mailman ends career

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Carl Malone retires from a prestigious career without ever winning the big-one, let's reflect on history and realize the names of other famous athletes who also ended on a bad note.

The following never had a ring, yet were some of the greatest in their game when they played:

Ted Williams - 19 season, 2 wars, .344 batting avg., 3 triple crowns, NO RING.

Dominique Williams - Human Highlight Film - blessed with the greatest of talent, cursed by being a Hawk, NO RING.

Barry Bonds - He's Charles Atlas in home run record book, but Barney Fife in Series quest. NO RING.

Marcel Dione - 4th all-time goal scorer in NHL history, yet 0-18 in Stanley Cup time. NO RING.

Fran Tarkenton - Scrambling legend at UGA, Mr. Viking of all time, Hall inductee, bombed at the Super Bowl. NO RING.

Jim Kelly - Among his NFL laurels is the man with the biggest loosing record for Super Bowl QB's, his futility though does not weigh on his Hall induction. NO RING.

Ernie Banks - 2-time MVP as a Cub, hit 512 homers yet never made it into the game. NO RING.

Tony Gwynn - Padres greatest outfielder of all time, hit .336 in 14 seasons, yet .236 in his only Series appearance. NO RING.

Dan Marino - Arguably the greatest of all QB's - never won a Super Bowl. NO RING.

Ty Cobb - Mr. A**hole, Georgia Peach played 24 seasons while averaging .367, the highest in history. NO RING.

Barry Sander - Greatest of all Lions running backs, one of the greatest in history, retired after 10 seasons and 10 Pro Bowls. NO RING.

Anthony Munoz - The greatest offensive lineman in the history of the NFL, yet a Bengal, nonetheless. NO RING.

Carl Yastremski - Red Sox Hall of Farmer, would have given anything to turn back the October clock. NO RING.

Dan Fouts - Long before Peyton thought of playing in the NFL, made a nightmare of defensive coordinators lives on the field on Sunday. NO RING.

and last but not least,

Dale Murphy - Mr. Nice-guy, Atlanta Brave, what more to say. NO RING.

Feel free to add to the list and comment.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrick Ewing- Cursed by being in the league the same time as Mike.

John Stockton -Malone's teamate and all time assist leader who retired a few seasons ago.

Thurman Thomas - 4 times to the big game, 2 or 3 time MVP, and no ring

Bruce Smith- anothing 4 timer without a ring. Also was a MVP and one of the best defensive players ever.

Reggie Miller- Miller Time an animal in the playoffs but never won a ring( oh forgot he was still in the league)

Looking to improve

Reaction score
I feel foolish asking, but...

Ring?

MtB

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel foolish asking, but... Ring? MtB
An example of a championship ring
a_ring_hi.jpg

Looking to improve

Reaction score
So the players from the team that wins a championship each get a ring if I understand this right?

MtB

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the players from the team that wins a championship each get a ring if I understand this right?

MtB
Correct, a normally highly sought after piece of memorabilia, the ranges in price are ridiculous.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
I see. Thanks for the explanation.

MtB

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Umm - Barry Bonds is still active Â
biggrin.gif
How about Sir Charles Barkley, the Round Mound of Rebound? Bradford P.S. Malone may not have a ring, but he has a cool cowboy hat.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm - Barry Bonds is still active Â
biggrin.gif
How about Sir Charles Barkley, the Round Mound of Rebound? Bradford P.S. Malone may not have a ring, but he has a cool cowboy hat.
And atleaset he has a little class, hard to find in the NBA for the most part today.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ugh.. my only real memory of Karl Malone was his habit for taking an E.T.E.R.N.I.T.Y. at the foul line. (and for his swinging elbows) Anyone else remember the game (playoffs?) v.s. the Seattle Sonics when the crowd took it upon themselves to count out the seconds he was taking dribbling the ball at the damn foul line. That was back in the day with Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp I think.

whew...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads