1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mail Order Custom Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quirk, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I have heard people talk about a place in Hong Kong where you can get fairly inexpensive custom shirts by mail. Does anybody have a recommendation of places in the US where you can order comparable quality?

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

Carl at CEGO I guess would be the obvious forumite answer. Prices about double Jantzen IIRC.

3. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Carl's prices run $80-$150, CEGO.com. Has gotten nothing but stellar reviews. I plan on making a purchase from him next time I'm home.

Tom

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't think Carl (CEGO owner) does mail order shirts, though. He's based in New York.

You could also use W.W. Chan (http://www.wwchan.com/) a favorite of many board members for suits. Their shirts are well made and around $120 each. They visit the US to take orders.

5. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

Plus, if one is actually in NYC, you can visit and be measured by a pro, rather than rely on self measurement. I also plan on visiting Carl at some point this year.

6. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

Ripley Custom Shirts based in Dallas Texas offers US made custom
    shirts by mail. They were doing this long before the Internet.
    They send you fabric samples and a self measure order form.

If you want US made by mail, Ripley is an option.
    Lands End offers made to measure, but I believe the shirts
    are made offshore.

http://ripleyshirts.com/

Shirtcreations is another made in USA mailorder custom shirt source.
    They are quite expensive, however.

http://shirtcreations.com/

7. rip

rip Active Member

I don't think you will be able to match the quality/price anywhere onshore. You might approximate the same quality at two or three times the price. Apart from his (slightly?) disorganized manner, Jantzen generally gets really good marks from his customers, both on this forum and on AAAC.

8. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

People put up with the self-measurment and screw ups the first couple shirts with Jantzen because it is cheap enough not to hurt.

9. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

People put up with the self-measurment and screw ups the first couple shirts with Jantzen because it is cheap enough not to hurt.
    I think people really need to keep the whole self-measuring bit in perspective.
    For most Jantzen customers, the comparison starts with OTR shirts. My experience as an example:

Current shirt: Joseph Abboud, $90. Fit score: 20/100
    1st Jantzen: $43. Fit score 90/100
    2nd Jantzen: $43. Fit score 95/100
    3rd Jantzen: $43. Expected fit score 97/100

The perfect shirt for me would have about 1/2" more slope in the shoulder. I'm afraid to mess with it though, in fear I would take a shirt with a fit of 97% perfect, and turn it into one with a score of 70%.

As always - your experience may vary. The Abboud, the 1st Jantzen order, and the 2nd Jantzen order are in sequence below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Hrm. My first MTM shirt came out perfect... but some of you might say differently.

11. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

None of those shirts are close to the fit (trim) I would demand from a custom shirt. But it is always important to have realistic expectations and a good idea of what one wants. If that's a 97 for you, then I think Jantzen certainly serves you well and you should be able to get an even better shirt the next time.

My earlier point was that, doing these trials blindly with shirts that cost >$100 is different from the Jantzen experience. And most shirtmakers in the West will politely decline. After all their best advertisements are on the clients' backs.

12. montmorency

montmorency Senior member

I guess the search function doesn't lead to my old posts on this.

13. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Carl is excellent. The top end price can get much higher because Carl has some absolutely amazing fabrics.

14. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

I would try Land's End Custom, I like their materials and their shirts fit me perfectly.

I like Jantzen but there are just too many things that make the process difficult.

15. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

None of those shirts are close to the fit (trim) I would demand from a custom shirt. But it is always important to have realistic expectations and a good idea of what one wants. If that's a 97 for you, then I think Jantzen certainly serves you well and you should be able to get an even better shirt the next time.

This was my first Jantzen, after a long day's wear. It was all self-measurement. (It actually looks better than in the pic, which was shot from below using a shoddy webcam.)

[​IMG]

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

I guess the search function doesn't lead to my old posts on this.
    maybe your old posts are lost in the blackout abyss

17. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

18. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

This article, on Paris shirts maybe can help you:

http://filmnoirbuff.com/article/is-paris-burning

I doubt very much if Paris Custom Shirts would make a mail order shirt for any one individual they hadnt made one up for in person. Although i respect the niche that jantzen exists in and I dont think it is necessarily a bad thing at all, a true custom shirt maker would never take your measurements from a distance without being to size you up and make adjustments. That is because no two people of the same measurement are ever truly the same in terms of displacement and individual indiosyncracies of the torso, neck and face. A custom shirtmaker needs to make decisions as to how to design, cut and sew that will enhance your body, your way of life and flatter your face.

Again, sending measurements doesnt make it a bad thing, its just matter of separating the true custom shirt maker from a special order factory. However, for those who want to get their feet wet with the fun of choosing fabric, color/pattern and collar styles for a lot less, it is a good first step. I would imagine fad fabrics are excellent to experiment with this way.

19. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Just realized I never responded to all the feedback. Thanks, much appreciated!